Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP available on Plusnet?

FIXED
kankali
Grafter

FTTP available on Plusnet?

Apologies if this has been asked before.

FTTP just installed in our village. FTTC has been very unreliable. Does PN offer FTTP or do I need to go elsewhere?

Thanks

46 REPLIES 46
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Re: FTTP available on Plusnet?

You will need to go elsewhere. Plusnet do not offer FTTP.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to FTTP Trial.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Fix

@kankali 

Unfortunately you'll need to go elsewhere. As yet PlusNet do not offer FTTP on a commercial basis and we'll not know otherwise until they do.

BT and Zen are the main ISP's offering FTTP though there are other smaller players (or business orientated) in the market. It's rumoured Sky will be launching in the very near future (June???).

Brian

Dodger21
Grafter

Also looks like Talk Talk are about to join in to.Click 

kankali
Grafter

Thanks - so Plusnet being left behind. 🙄

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Plusnet is way behind on G.fast and FTTP. Don't understand what was the reason for this? As I understood PN will not offer both of this.

PN only offer old technology and outdated on ADSL/ADSL2+/FTTC and that's was it.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@goldenfibre 

Some of us were lucky to get on the PlusNet FTTP Trial and still receive the service.

However, to offer FTTP commercially takes a complete re-write of an ISP systems. Everything at the moment is centred on the phone line number but with FTTP there is no phone line therefore no number for the systems.

Until recently FTTP was a "niche" offering and the investment required to set up back office systems was probably not justifiable. Even then an ISP can run into trouble - it was rumoured that Sky's FTTP service has been delayed (for some time) with an integration problem with VOIP services.

Brian

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Maybe plusnet is set to be retired and phased out by BT, limping on as an ADSL/VDSL only service for a while before being fully absorbed into BT and discontnued

Dodger21
Grafter

Sky starting a FTTP trial here: Click 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Some interesting comments on that link

We’ve spoken to Sky again in the hope of gaining a few extra details. The pilot is available to new customers in existing Openreach FTTP areas, although we’re still uncertain as to how they’re judging exact eligibility since some seem able to order it and others don’t. At present only a small team of customer service agents are able to sell and service the product.

and

So suggest they have enough people for the trial now and are not interested in taking on any more.

And if its like the Plusnet trial it will crawl along for two or three years and then Sky will decide that FTTP is too difficult and costly for it to support. I’m sure the same thing will happen with the TalkTalk FTTP trial too, leaving BT with a continued monopoly (leaving aside Zen and IDNet who both over charge for slow speeds than BT so are a waset of space) at excessive prices…………….

Supply of FTTP involves major changes to any suppliers provisioning systems, since up to now, they've been based around the fact that the primary asset on any supply is the telephone line and number.  FTTP supply completely destroys that assumption, hence any supplier entering the FTTP  market needs to asses implications on their systems. Hence the limited trial, whereby much of the ordering etc needs a lot of manual intervention until the automated ordering systems are proven (or the supplier decides it isnt worth it!)

It's a bit like the electric vehicles Catch 22, until charging points are widely available people wont buy electric cars. Same with FTTP , until its widely available , suppliers will wonder if changing their systems is worth it..

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dodger21
Grafter

I can understand your scepticisms but Sky are moving, albeit slowly away form a satellite system to providing Sky boxes with a land base feed, so it may take them a while but I don’t see them not going forward with this.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure all suppliers (including PlusNet) will get there eventually!, they'll have to compete. All I'm saying, is don't expect the mass market suppliers to get there quickly!. In order to be mass market (and cheap), provision has to be automated and it will take time and effort to get the systems in place for that. BT retail, presumably, started working on FTTP supply much earlier than anyone else, since they probably had insight into the FTTP supply mechanisms from their colleagues at Openreach. The likes of Zen and Idnet can either afford to apply manual processes to FTTP or have systems small or flexible enough to handle it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@MisterW No chance as Plusnet will never bring in FTTP or G.fast in the future because Bob Pullen told me. PN remain the budget value for ADSL/ADSL2+/FTTC only

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'm not sure I back that comment @goldenfibre Huh

I'd say G.Fast is questionable, partly given industry's switch in focus/direction - but I definitely wouldn't rule out FTTP at some stage.

Probably be shot down for saying so, but I don't think BT's pricing is that bad for their 500mbps/Gigabit offerings. I remember the days when a 128kbps ISDN link would set you back £100pcm+ 😯

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵