cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - any news?

David_W
Rising Star

Re: FTTP - any news?

If I remember correctly, BT were trailing an FTTP product in Cornwall, their on demand service I think it was, so the question is if those 60 connections (out of 95,237 available) are the people on that trial....  60 people can easily be just 1 exchange out of however many are upgraded.  They also are looking at getting 80% online by 2014 with fibre, they could do that using just FTTC so we may not even get FTTP till goodness knows when.
joncooper
Grafter

I believe the "FTTP on demand" is an upgrade that can be offered to people who can get FTTC
The trials have been over in St.Agnes (so not too out of the way then  Roll_eyes )
David_W
Rising Star

Aye, currently it's fibre to the cabinet then copper to the home, on demand (I think) changes that to fibre from the cabinet to the home though you're responsible for the cost (over £500 install or even over £1000 so not really a home product).  Would be good to find a bit of info about the FTTP rollout in Cornwall.
Something that is bugging me currently.  In my town we have the exchange (E) my road (R) and a FTTC enabled cabinet (C) which looks like this...
E ----- R ---- C
The fibre cabling has to run past my road to get to the cabinet so the fibre is already laid out, so if that is the case, why isn't FTTP available if the fibre already runs through the town?  The cabinet is further away (about 2 minutes walk) from the exchange than my house so I'm again at a loss as to why FTTP isn't readily available.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: David
Percent Lines = percentage of lines able to get Fibre (probably)

I believe it is the percentage of the lines that a cabinet provide for particular postcode area. i.e. several cabinets feed the same postcode add them all up will give you 100%, actually for the ones that i tried they add up to 99%
Edit: If only one cabinet is given for a Postcode or they do not add up to 100% then DavidW comment is correct. I found a single cabinet with 62% and I assuming that the rest of the line are being fed directly from the exchange.
David_W
Rising Star

No idea, my postcode isn't cabinet based (FTTP) although there are some that are FTTP with 70% so no idea.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 5

A single postcode can be fed by 1 or more cabs or some lines in a postcode can be exchange fed, or there can be a mix of exchange fed and cab.
If the numbers don't add up to 100% then that means that some lines are either fed by cab which isn't getting fibre or some lines are exchange fed and they aren't doing FTTP for them.
At an exchange where they are doing FTTC and FTTP then they generally do the FTTC rollout first and then the FTTP rollout. It can be several months between the first cabs for FTTC going live and the end of the rollout at that exchange. York was definitely longer than 6 months. Openreach don't tend to publish much data on dates for future availability because when you get down to the individual cab and level they've found it hard to predict because they are co-ordinating multiple teams doing different cabs at the same time but with different tasks. E.g. one team may install the cabs, another run the fibre, another do the kit at the exchange etc. and if they encounter problems they may move on to the next and the problem gets picked up by another team.
Best thing to do is just keep an eye on the availability checker as this will update once it's ready.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
David_W
Rising Star

Cheers for the answer Dave, it's much better than the one from superfastcornwall, well, technically the same answer but with proper information.
mzunny
Dabbler

Hi Dave,
At website (http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/01/24/plusnet-fibre-trials-updates/) You published information about future price for FTTP (£34,49).
What kind a benefits can get customer by choice PlusNet Fibre Trial as alternative for BT?  Unlimited fibre optics 100/15mbit at BT cost  £35.
My friend wanna join to PlusNet FTTP, but this price is really too high for limited downloading on fibre optic.
David_W
Rising Star

Customer support is a major reason to switch to PlusNet, if you have a problem it usually gets resolved very quickly and you talk to people in the UK (though that Sheffield accent is really hard to understand  Crazy - joke!), you also have access to the PN staff on this forum so if you have an issue and you feel the tickets are not progressing very well you can post on the forum and a member of staff will have a look, give you more information, sort things out and if needed take ownership of the case. By not offering Unlimited on Fibre, the heavy (very heavy) downloaders will avoid PlusNet, with an Unlimited package you'll have a very small minority of people (something like 3%) using the majority of bandwidth (something like 70% - figures are made up but probably near enough correct) so the overall network is more stable for everyone.
Anyhow, had BT guys working at the pole on my street putting in Fibre, they reckon a couple of months and FTTP will be available to me!  Joy!  Now to figure out if I actually need 100Mb fibre.... yep... I do!