cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - any news?

joncooper
Grafter

FTTP - any news?

Hi, I live in Cornwall where http://www.superfastcornwall.org/ are promoting fibre connections
a neighbourhood 2/300yds away has just had their FTTC installation go live,
but they tell me the cabinet I am connected to is scheduled for FTTP
They have no clue when, or at what cost, of it it will be BT only (I would want to stay on PlusNet)
Is there any way to find out more?
ie; what it might cost, when it might happen, what installation involves, etc?
23 REPLIES 23
Timalay
Grafter

Re: FTTP - any news?

Plusnet have announced their pricing for their fttp product here
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When it might happen? Check what https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html says.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
David_W
Rising Star

That checker doesn't update nor show when.  Here though gives a better idea.
Click Options (top left) then choose "Postcode" - "Contains" (type in postcode) and click Apply, you'll get some information.... no idea how useful it is, mine for instance says:
WWHAYL HAYLE <postcode>  {WWHAYL}{P13} 0 100% 4.72 Cornwall - Tranche 2 YES FTTP
Which says 100% of the lines in my postcode are getting upgraded, Tranche 2 (which should be done by now as it's end of March) and getting FTTP (yay), what it doesn't say is when, Tranche 2 is complete but I can't get Fibre until BT do a bit more work, which is slightly annoying to say the least.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

What does the 'Deployed' column mean?  Is it that the cabinet is up & running?
David_W
Rising Star

As I understand it, deployed just means it's on the list or something, it has no relation to the service being turned on for that particular postcode so should be ignored.
From my understanding I'll list what, err, what means.
SAU_ID = exchange name
SAU_NODE_ID = cabinet you're connected to
Exchange Only = no cabinet (can't get FTTC as there is no cabinet, 0 = false)
Percent Lines = percentage of lines able to get Fibre (probably)
Uplift = multiplication in speed you can expect from your estimated line speed (probably) so mine is estimated at 8Mb (currently get 13.6Mb....) times 4.72 = 37.76Mb estimate
Phase = when *exchange* is due to be upgraded (not an indicator of when your cabinet is)
Deployed = Something
joncooper
Grafter

thanks for trying to help guys, none of the links led to any new information
other than plus.net's pricing - which is frankly stunning, don't they want to compete?
£21.49 for 120Gb a month is about what I'm paying for unlimited
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You're forgetting one thing - Plusnet is a business not a charity!
Plusnet only provide BT Wholesale services, cheaper services are probably LLU.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
David_W
Rising Star

I think PN will need to look at their pricing structure, Sky are launching a Fibre service this month (unlimited 40Mb for £20/month), Talk Talk (YUCK!) do Unlimited for £10/month (40Mb, £15/month for 80Mb) and BT do Unlimited for £26/month (or £35 for Unlimited FTTP) so £20/month for 120Gb (even with Unlimited over-night) isn't competitive when compared to BT/Sky/TT.
joncooper
Grafter

you're right Jelv, but as David points out, many others are able to price much more competitively
I have been with plus since 2002, through all the troubles and problems, and I would prefer to stay
but I won't pay more for less
David_W
Rising Star

Another thing you can look at is http://www.roadworks.org what you're looking for is BT doing any work in your area.  For instance, in my town at Penpol Terrace BT are "Works description: FIBRE CABLING FOR SUPERFAST BROADBAND" so people in Penpol Terrace will be getting Fibre by the 14th of April, lucky people.
joncooper
Grafter

thanks David, no work scheduled where I live Sad
joncooper
Grafter

typical, I googled bt fibre "tranche 2" - 3rd result is this thread
any chance of some thoughts from Plus.net?
David_W
Rising Star

To be honest with you, FTTP is confusing as heck.  I have no idea if BT are actually rolling out FTTP in any areas other than the trial areas at the moment, so those of us waiting for FTTP are stuck waiting whilst people around us get on the FTTC wagon with up to 80Mb speeds.  My sister lives just around the corner from me and can now get fibre (FTTC) but as I'm designated FTTP I'm stuck at 13Mb (which is 5Mb more than I'm supposed to get).
Really would be nice to find out how many areas that are now enabled for FTTP/C are actually getting FTTP and not just FTTC, I suspect the answer is "not a lot".
joncooper
Grafter

Superfast Cornwall tell me "there are over 60 live FTTP customer connections in enabled areas"
that's just 60 for the whole of Cornwall - where they are claiming "90,000 premises able to place orders" (for FTTC)