Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - Upgrading fibre to 66 mbs

JezFTTP
Grafter

FTTP - Upgrading fibre to 66 mbs

Hi contacted Plusnet today re changing my fibre speed

I have fttp telephone number [Removed] 

After an hour on the phone I was told that the price for the increase in speed is over 50 pounds per month

Could someone explain to me why it is more that the 28.99 per month advertised for fibre on your website

Currently I don’t pay a premium for the lower speed of 38 mbs

Thx
Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).
17 REPLIES 17
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: FTTP - Upgrading fibre to 66 mbs

First of all £28.99 per month is for new customers, not loyal one's who are out of contract. I'm amazed that you have been quoted over £50 a month, does that include a call plan?

One significant cost factor depends on whether you live in a low or high cost area. These are currently being updated so to check do the following:

1. Go to this site, enter your phone number and note your exchange OLO  https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

2. Follow the link in this post and find your OLO. It will either be in the expensive Market A or less expensive Market B area list. The lists are in Annex 1  https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Am-I-now-Low-Cost-or-not/m-p/1558962#M79990

Either way still go onto a price comparison website and find the cheapest Fibre 80/20 service. When you have the target price ring Plusnet and select the 'I'm thinking of leaving' option. Quote the competitors price and ask Plusnet to match it. You should get a far better offer than currently to stay. If you don't get a satisfactory first offer then persist. Don't waste your time asking for the £28.99 deal as you will simply be told that it's not available to existing customers.

It's all a bit of a pain but if you don't ask you don't get.

Edit

My brain's obviously addled as I hadn't noticed that this is a FTTP connection so comparisons may not show savings.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Unfortunately we don't or at least shouldn't provide discounts for FTTP.

For Unlimited Fibre it's £15.99 or for Unlimited Fibre Extra it's £20.99. This is in addition to your phone service or it's £2.50 more per month.

While I appreciate you're not paying this now, I'm afraid this was done as a mistake but as it was agreed we will leave your cost as it is for the duration of the agreed contract.

If you would like to upgrade on FTTP I'm afraid you'll lose any discounts, or if you recontract once your minimum term ends you'll likely not be able to receive any further discounts either.

This is because the wholesale cost to provide FTTP is a lot more than to provide FTTC and as we're only offering FTTP as part of a trial to you, we don't have a pricing structure for FTTP and the costs are essentially what we offer for FTTC without any discounts.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JezFTTP
Grafter

Thx for the reply

Really disappointed that I will be penalised for having fttp in a rural area in the future with extra cost compared to your deals

I’ve spoken to bt that has no such policy for charging more for fttp on the deals

Why is it that Plusnet does

With this in mind could I request an end to my contract if possible to leave for bt

Gutted that I will have to leave to increase my speed which most families need in this ever digital world

I look forward to your reply

Regards

Jezfttp

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This doesn't have anything to do with you being in a rural area.

If you've agreed a contract with us then you'll be bound to those terms and there'll be an early termination charge should you decide to cancel early. To discuss this further I'd recommend calling our cancellations team on 0800 013 2632.

I'm just trying to advise that when your contract term does come to an end, or if you upgrade within your contract term, it's unlikely we'll be able to provide you with another discount as we shouldn't be offering discounts for FTTP services - this is our decision not BT's.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JezFTTP
Grafter

Before I was able to receive fttp my speed was only 3/4 mbs so me living in a rural area meant my only option was getting fttp

I understand it’s plusnets decision I was trying to show that other companying that offer fibre to the premises don’t penalise people on fttp

I’d be more that happy to pay 35.99 per month for my deal now if I could get the speed increase to 66mbs

Is there anyone I can discuss this with over the phone as I believe this is an unfair policy

Thx
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

It may or may not be an unfair policy but it is PlusNet's policy which you signed up for.

At the moment PlusNet is by far the cheapest FTTP provider if you don't need a phone and is competitive if you do.

Note that PlusNet only currently provide Up to 38 or Up to 78. BT is Up to 52 or up to 78 (plus a couple of signicantly faster speeds)

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've sent an email to our sales team explaining the situation and asked them to call you back to discuss this further if they can do anything to help.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JezFTTP
Grafter

Thx for your help and sending email to service team

I appreciate your time

I look forward to them calling me

Enjoy your evening
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all, you too! 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Moved from Fibre Broadband to FTTP trials.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

JezFTTP
Grafter

Hi

Just a quick question do u know when my contract is due to end with Plusnet
JezFTTP
Grafter

Hi

Just a quick question do you know when my contract is due to end

Thx
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Baldrick1 wrote:

One significant cost factor depends on whether you live in a low or high cost area. These are currently being updated so to check do the following:

1. Go to this site, enter your phone number and note your exchange OLO  https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

2. Follow the link in this post and find your OLO. It will either be in the expensive Market A or less expensive Market B area list. The lists are in Annex 1  https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Am-I-now-Low-Cost-or-not/m-p/1558962#M79990

@Baldrick1

Are you sure about that?

AFAICS SamKnows hasn't been updated in that respect for ages.

It certainly doesn't tell me whether my exchange is Market A or Market B, it still says Market 3 !!!

Edit:  Just realised you weren't saying SamKnows will tell you whether the exchange is Market A or Market B, but the list at the second link will do so.  Wink

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@RobPN

You are quite correct, Samknows hasn't been updated for years. That is why in step 1 I suggest that this site is used only to find an exchange OLO, which again hasn't been changed as far as I am aware for years.

In step 2 I suggest that the reader refers to the linked latest OFCOM document where the exchange OLO should be identified either in the Market A or B list.

I'm sorry if I was not clear on this. I have checked this and it works for me.

Edit

Post crossed with your edit!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'