cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Update for those not lucky enough to get onto the trail before it closed

jhsmith87

FTTP Update for those not lucky enough to get onto the trail before it closed

Hi there, 

I am about to move into a new build FTTP property. My previous new build was also FTTP & I was with BT for the 4 years there. If you wanted fibre then it was via BT FTTP as there was no FTTC available. I am currently with PN in my rented house whilst waiting for the new one to be built. Doing a BT wholesale check there is also no FTTC at the new property, so until PN opens up FTTP to new users then the only way to get fibre again is via BT (high prices plus having to pay line rental). 

I really don't want to go down that road with a 12 or 18 month contract with BT to find PN has launched a month after FTTP. Any idea yet of time frames? (Even if it was coming in 2-3 months time I would hold off & put up with non fibre broadband until then)

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: FTTP Update for those not lucky enough to get onto the trail before it closed

If it helps, I believe Zen ( https://www.zen.co.uk/home/broadband ) and IDNet ( https://www.idnet.net/data_products/super-fast-broadband.php ) can also provide an FTTP connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: FTTP Update for those not lucky enough to get onto the trail before it closed

Have you asked if you can do a home move with PN?

Best asked on here rather than ringing up.

JayCee

The only way to join Plusnet FTTP was via the trial. Didn't matter if it was a home move or new line or whatever.

The trial is over and they are no longer taking ANY new FTTP orders (unless there's already a ticket open agreeing to process this).

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hiya @jhsmith87, firstly welcome to our community forums and sorry for the delayed response.

Unfortunately we don't have any timescales we can share as to when or if we'll launch FTTP as a full product.

Apologies for any disappointment this may cause.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Gandalf wrote:

Unfortunately we don't have any timescales we can share as to when or if we'll launch FTTP as a full product.

We realise you've been sworn to secrecy @Gandalf, but I think there are a couple of superfluous words in that sentence.   Wink

I'd hazard a guess that with the number of 'new' PN staff members we've noticed making an appearance on the FTTP trials forum that there's some on-going staff-training in FTTP related matters.  Wink

krusty
Rising Star

We realise you've been sworn to secrecy @Gandalf, but I think there are a couple of superfluous words in that sentence.   Wink

I'd hazard a guess that with the number of 'new' PN staff members we've noticed making an appearance on the FTTP trials forum that there's some on-going staff-training in FTTP related matters. 

Heh a few of us had noticed that too. But yes FTTP training does take time, just as ADSL to FTTC did. Along with billing, back-haul and security requirements. Along with the new hardware.

The packages have probably been done a while ago, with pricing "in flux".. I just hope they have better names than the current fttc ones ..

Plus if PN offer ultra biz bb all of the business team will have to do FTTP 101..

p.s i hope the bods at PN understand how and why i'm wording things about FTTP this way..

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@RobPN wrote:
I'd hazard a guess that with the number of 'new' PN staff members we've noticed making an appearance on the FTTP trials forum that there's some on-going staff-training in FTTP related matters.  Wink

Sorry to be the bearer of  less than welcome news but please don't read anything into this, the reason that there are more staff involved in this board now than there was previously is because of two reasons.

1. We've got more staff than we've ever had, to try to keep on top of requests for help in the forums, on social media and via the new mobile app.
  2. We've changed the way we monitor these boards, The Superusers and I launched and completed project link. It was designed to bring the same tools to the forums that exist for social media. No longer do agents skim boards trying to find work that adds value and that they have the skill set to handle (missing loads in the process).                             Now we suck in every post on every thread and use key word analysis to serve it any agent that has the skills to respond. It means quicker response times and better coverage.

It has absolutely nothing to do with us gearing up for something FTTP related.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
DIH10

Although there are clearly existing customers continuing to receive an FTTP service via plusnet (as a consequence of the 8 year “trial”!), there is still no word about whether FTTP will ever be available to order by anyone else.

I’ve been with plusnet for many years (with a fairly slow connection due to distance from cabinet/exchange).  As of last week, however, FTTP infrastructure (BT Openreach) has been installed to our village (local authority funding).  So it’s disappointing to find that I am now obliged to move to a different ISP if I want to benefit from this.  I’m also part way through an 18 month with plusnet, entered into on the understanding that plusnet was (at the time) accepting existing customers onto FTTP (I knew that FTTP was planned for our village).  Needless to say that I will be suggesting (when I call) that, given the circumstances, applying an early contract termination charge is unreasonable.

Good to know that Plusnet is keeping on top of monitoring forums and social media though!

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If PlusNet don't pull their socks up fast they stand to loose a lot of customers because OR going to town installing FTP now.

DIH10

Indeed they are.  From a long and not entirely satisfactory conversation with plusnet support, I concluded that FTTP is not going to be offered as a product in the near future (if ever).  So I've just placed an order for FTTP with another ISP.  Installation scheduled for Oct 1st.  Customer service should be about informing customers - not keeping them in the dark and leaving them to speculate.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@DIH10

If you've got an install date of the 1st then you're a very lucky person as it's totally dependant on engineer availability.

Until (or if) PlusNet are ready to introduce a commercial FTTP service there's nothing for Customer Services to tell. If no decision has been made then propel are left as now - not knowing what may or may not happen. If they launch then there will be a launch date when staff are finally able to discuss matters.

What odds would you give on a PlusNet commercial service becoming available in the near future now you've made the jump!!!

Brian (a happy PlusNet FTTP user!!!)

DIH10

I’m not holding my breath on the installation date, but it is currently scheduled for the 1st.  Also I don’t really consider myself to be “very lucky”, given that plusnet will still impose early termination charges, even though I am only moving ISP in order to get a decent broadband connection (something that unfortunately plusnet cannot currently provide to my house, as it doesn’t offer an FTTP service). If however WBC FTTP had been available for me to order a couple of months ago, when the trial was still accepting applications, that would have been lucky.

As for the likelihood of a plusnet commercial service becoming available in the near future, I’ve chosen to switch ISP in order to cover the possibility that this won’t happen.  Whatever plusnet does I’ll still have a significantly improved broadband connection.