Did you mean: 

FTTP Trial

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: FTTP Trial

As mentioned by @MisterW the BT supplied one will need configuring with your PN credentials, whilst the PN supplied one will probably either be already set up with them or will obtain them automatically.

From what I can gather , @Minivanman must have already configured the credentials because it was working via the ADSL connection. It should ( hopefully? )  be a matter of just reconnecting the PC back via the router, disconnecting the ADSL RJ11 from the router and connecting the router WAN port to the ONT. It MAY automatically detect the WAN connection OR you may have to reset the router. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@Anonymous

Here you go. As you can see it's rather a scruffy install and the yellow fibre cable is stretching out of it's sleeve.

Could we do better? I certainly think so Thumbs_Up

WP_20170526_11_02_00_Pro.jpg

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a mess, I'd have expected a strainer grommet in the wall as well. Never seen an FTTP install before but if this were mine, I'd be as disappointed as you are now.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I agree, what a shambles.

Presumably you have removed the ONT from the wall to take the photo?

If BTOR fail to return and re-do the job, you could always unplug the fibre from the ONT and slide some sort of sleeving over the plug/fibre.

In my case I pre-prepared where I wanted the installation to be, providing conduit to a standard metal wall-box, and I can unplug the fibre and move it to another location in the future if I so wish as I have approximately 25m of excess fibre coiled up under the floorboards.

Looking at yours though, I'd want the cable replaced properly as it looks vulnerable as it is, and if it should get damaged further to the point of failure then no doubt BT will try and charge you for repairs!  At least get PN to report it and keep your photo as evidence.

Minivanman
Legend

Forgot to mention that where you see the filler on the wall is from the first hole he made it the wrong place - it came out below ground level.  He drilled a second hole for the cable and smeared filler over the first one. The outside is not much better and as you can see the cable is short so does not allow for a drip loop..... and of course those wrong colour clips!

WP_20170526_12_14_04_Pro.jpg

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN

Yes I had to unhook it to take that photo. 

It was fixed by screwing straight into the plasterboard without using plugs so if I'm not careful (as I have been) they are just going to fall out of the wall. I don't mind doing a bit of preparation or even making good after they have gone as we are all human after all but when what's been installed does not work anyway...

Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s all moot now I know but I would have preferred to have the cable entry hole for the property behind the grey box, I’m sure it would be possible. It’s unsightly enough without the screaming white wire with its black plastic clips adding to it.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman 'Nil pwan' for your installers then!

At least it looks like your external cable has a slight downward gradient to it away from the entry hole so unless the wind blows the water-drops uphill you should be OK!.

Here's a photo of my internal installation after the BTOR guy left, luckily fixed to a solid wall, and yes it needs a bit of tidying up.  The spare conduits were for running structured Ethernet.  I also had my CSP fitted indoors in a utilities cupboard.

Sorry, no success posting photo as it was larger than allowed by the forum and I don't think I have any image re-sampling software on this PC.

OK, resized online ...

rsz_fttp_ont.jpg

Minivanman
Legend

And that's how cables should be left. Neat and tidy Thumbs_Up

My junction box outside was left wonky but I managed to put it straight. Obviously BT high tech training does not include using a spirit level but quite honestly, they may be up to speed technically but when it comes to practical stuff such as fixing to walls and using a screwdriver I really do start to wonder.   

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

I was probably lucky with my BTOR internal installer then as he actually did bother to use a spirit level.  Mind you he did say it was one of the easiest installations he'd done as all he had to do was feed the fibre cable into the conduit under the ONT position whilst I pulled the draw rope at the other end, then drill the wall for a couple of ONT mounting screws, then perform his splice - not a single cable-clip was needed.

I'd originally planned the fibre cable to go through the left-hand conduit after looking at pictures online, but the ONT I received was a different model with the fibre socket on the right side!  No big deal, just used a different conduit.

Have you now managed to get your router up and running?

Minivanman
Legend

Good to read you had a nice neat install, it not be that difficult is it.

My computer worked for about ten minutes connected directly to the ONT but then stopped so that's a real puzzle and am now starting to think those fibre cable are a bit iffy. I've no way of rectifying of course so I guess the BT guy will have to come back and refit that loose cable inside and perhaps extend the one outside.

I have now connected it back to the PSTN line and it kicked in straight away so up and running as far as it goes.  

Herman Melville
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Thanks for your time on the phone @Minivanman.

As discussed, I've requested a new appointment and should be able to confirm this next week. Hopefully the engineer that comes to complete the job can tidy up the overall installation where it is lacking the quality I'd expect.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

... starting to think those fibre cable are a bit iffy. I've no way of rectifying of course so I guess the BT guy will have to come back and refit that loose cable inside and perhaps extend the one outside.  

Which AFAIK will probably mean completely replacing that 'internal' cable right back to the CSP and resplicing, so you should be able get him to introduce your drip-loop.

Minivanman
Legend

Just to add here, it seems a pretty poor show when, having left the installation the way BT did, it's going to be three weeks almost to the day before they return to rectify it and hopefully up and running. Is there no priority given to jobs in hand?

Earlier today BT were working on my next door neighbours (Zen) FTTP so whether that will work I have yet to find out as presumably our cables run back to the same distribution node.   

Herman Melville
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Minivanman wrote:

Just to add here, it seems a pretty poor show when, having left the installation the way BT did, it's going to be three weeks almost to the day before they return to rectify it and hopefully up and running. Is there no priority given to jobs in hand?

I did offer to call our suppliers to try and request an escalated appointment while I was on the phone with you, but you said the appointment from the booking system was fine Huh

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet