Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Trial

FIXED
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTP Trial

Well the fibre cable was run to the house a couple of weeks ago by some BT engineers who called unannounced and without and appointment - and now another one has just been and left again unannounced and without an appointment but hey, at least I was home and at least the modem (are they still called that?) is now fitted - unfortunately it does not seem to be operating Sad

Engineer left saying that when the amber light display turns blue in about an hour I will be able to use it, but it's now been over a couple of hours at least since the guy left and it's still on amber so I guess a longer wait is in order. 

Have advised the support team on existing ticket #147517753 but as I have not had a reply to my previous two questions I'm not anticipating they'll get back to me this time either but, you never know.

Left with no internet at all so I then had to plug in and fire up the old plusnet modem so at least I'm back on line again so small mercies and all that Thumbs_Up

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi, sounds like things are getting close. I've just checked the order and it's not closed off yet and we've been advised to check for an update on Thursday. Fingers crossed you're not waiting too much longer.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Minivanman
Legend

Thanks Chris, fingers crossed and thumbs up eh? Thumbs_Up

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Minivanman wrote:

... and at least the modem (are they still called that?) is now fitted ...

It is called an Optical Network Terminal (ONT for short)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

Engineer left saying that when the amber light display turns blue in about an hour I will be able to use it, but it's now been over a couple of hours at least since the guy left and it's still on amber so I guess a longer wait is in order.

Classic BT engineer tactic - tell customer to give it a couple of hours and run like hell

Minivanman
Legend

Well to be I'm honest I did ask him how much salt I should take with that. Not sure if he was amused or not Roll_eyes

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

@SpendLessTime

Thanks for that, it did seem a bit of a misnomer but I suspect modem will be with us for some time yet Smiley

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

Although there are several ONT models supplied by BT so mine is probably different to yours, I've never seen any blue lights on mine so I'm guessing you are referring to a blue light on your router?

Perhaps your router has not been set up with your login details?

In case you're not aware the router has to be set up with a PPPoE connection using said PN login details.

A quick and easy way to test if your FTTP connection is actually 'live' is to set up a PPPoE connection on your computer and bypass the router completely, i.e. connect your computer NIC directly to LAN1 on the ONT with an Ethernet cable.

To set up said PPPoE connection, go to Windows Network and Sharing Centre, choose 'Setup a new connection or network' / 'Connect to the Internet' / 'Broadband (PPPoE)' then enter your credentials (not forgetting that your PN username is generally 'myaccountname@plusdsl.net')

Good luck!

Minivanman
Legend

Cheers @RobPN

Have now tried that but even though I have 'cable connected' to the new BTHub5-MKRQ  it's still not seeing it so perhaps somewhere down the line it's not activated?

This is the one they left showing the amber light "which will go blue". More than a bit miffed that he left without making sure it was not working and with me not connected (had to reinstall the plusnet modem). Went to the site 192.168.1.254 suggested by plusnet chat to connect the new hub but that just takes me to the Technicolor Gateway.... which is obviously the wrong one!

Think maybe I'll have to get the BT guy back as I'd hate to lose my internet connection completely Sad

download.jpg

PS. Plusnet should have sent me a new hub but the chat guy said to use the BT one supplied by the engineer as it was better? 

Herman Melville
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Went to the site 192.168.1.254 suggested by plusnet chat to connect the new hub but that just takes me to the Technicolor Gateway.... which is obviously the wrong one!

That sounds like you've got both the Techicolor and the new BT hub connected to the LAN at the same time, that's not going to work. By default they will both have the same internal IP address 192.168.1.254.

PS. Plusnet should have sent me a new hub but the chat guy said to use the BT one supplied by the engineer as it was better? 

Aah! the BT hub will definitely need configuring with your PlusNet username/password. Can you connect a Pc or Laptop directly to the BT hub ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

Cheers @RobPN

Have now tried that but even though I have 'cable connected' to the new BTHub5-MKRQ  it's still not seeing it so perhaps somewhere down the line it's not activated?

Have you actually tried what I suggested, i.e. a direct PPPoE connection to the ONT?  It sounds as if you may have confused connecting an Ethernet cable to the router with what I said, which was to not use the router at all, but connect the computer directly to the ONT via an Ethernet cable.

Edit: typos

Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN

Confused? probably at my age Wink

Anyways followed your advice and together with the plusnet help line who suggested I also plug in the PSTN line to the new router it now seems to be working. Just need to check the line speed now as it should be far higher.

Cheers.

Herman Melville
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Minivanman wrote:
Just need to check the line speed now as it should be far higher.

We've got some work to do on that side of things, your account is still on an ADSL package, so your speeds will likely not be much higher than ADSL speeds Wink

Bear with me on that one.

@Minivanman wrote:
PS. Plusnet should have sent me a new hub

Sorry to see that wasn't sent. I've added one to your account and arranged for it to be sent out for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

who suggested I also plug in the PSTN line to the new router it now seems to be working

They suggested what!!! , it sounds like you've now got ADSL again, but via the new router.

To be fair, I suspect most of the CSC staff wouldn't have a clue about FTTP.

Do as RobPN suggests, connect your PC directly via a network cable to the ONT and set up a PPPoE connection directly on the PC. That way you'll  prove whether the ONT is working or not and then we can proceed to try connecting the new router to the ONT

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend

It does seem like it @MisterW as my line speed is the same but the plusnet guy on the phone said "it needs to settle down". Am I being sold a pup? Methinks I am. 

Herman Melville