Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Trial Running at ADSL Download Speed

FIXED
PeterPan
Grafter

FTTP Trial Running at ADSL Download Speed

Could someone at PN who knows about FTTP PLEASE look at my ticket #147090696?  (I know that there are not many staff who are trained and experienced in FTTP, but it is not getting fixed at the moment)

I noticed a few days ago that my catch-up TV was buffering and that I could not do anything on the laptop at the same time as my wife was watching catch-up.

Testing with the BTWholesale Performance Tester showed that I was getting 2.0 Mb/s Download (instead of about 80Mb/s), but almost 20 Mb/s Upload (which is about right).

I NEED a good service, because I teach Maths over the Internet, using interactive whiteboards and Skype audio.  It doesn't need the whole of FTTP, but I cannot work if I am being buffered, due to other users' traffic.

When I called in, the Analyst said that he had never before seen the screen display that he had for my account, because he had never dealt with FTTP before.  He then tried to get me to disconnect the Telephone Master Socket faceplate to run some tests, despite the fact that the telephone line has NOTHING to do with the FTTP service.

Posts on the Ticket show the results of a Copper Line Test, which seems utterly pointless, and talk about settings for SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio), which I did not think applied to FTTP; as a digital system there should be NO noise, but ALL signal.

Running the BTWholesale PerformanceTest and asking for "Further Diagnostics" leads to an error message, saying that it cannot access details of my service (see attached).  (Re-running the test, as instructed, does nothing to resolve the issue) 

PLEASE can you get someone who knows about FTTP to look at my case?

Regards,

Peter

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

6 REPLIES 6
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: FTTP Trial Running at ADSL Download Speed

Running the BTWholesale PerformanceTest and asking for "Further Diagnostics" leads to an error message, saying that it cannot access details of my service (see attached).  (Re-running the test, as instructed, does nothing to resolve the issue) 

PLEASE can you get someone who knows about FTTP to look at my case?

To enable you to successfully run the 'Further Diagnostics', you'll need to ask one of the FTTP 'enabled' staffers who post on this forum (e.g. @HarryB or  @BasilBrush ) for your 'Circuit ID', which you then enter in the appropriate field.

PeterPan
Grafter

Thanks for that advice @RobPN,

The BTW Tester gives you the option to use your address, or the Circuit ID, so I had just used the address.

Looking through my notes from a few years ago, I found a note of my Circuit ID (BBEU********).  I put this in and got a report showing that I should be getting between 40Mb/s and 212Mb/s, but was only getting 2.9Mb/s.

Looking back through my ticket, I can see mention of a totally different Circuit ID, so I am wondering whether that refers to the ADSL service that I  received, before the FTTP was installed?

I will add a note about this to the ticket and hope that "one of the FTTP 'enabled' staffers" can pick it up.

Thanks again for pointing out that I needed to use the Circuit ID, rather than the address.

Peter

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

It might also be worth checking to see if your Current Line Speed has been inadvertently set wrongly.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @PeterPan, sorry to hear you're experiencing some speed issues.

From a quick glance, @RobPN may be correct. However leave this with me and I'll respond shortly after I've been over the account in a bit more detail.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

I've updated the speed profile on your account and a disconnect/reconnect should get you back on to the speeds you should be getting on your FTTP connection.

I'll pass on some feedback regarding a few people that have dealt with your account. It looks like the BBEU on the tests that have been run are related to the ADSL connection as they likely tested using the telephone number on the account as opposed to the FTTP BBEU that is recorded correctly on your account.

Apologies for any inconvenience this has been causing. Let us know if you continue to experience any problems moving forward.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
PeterPan
Grafter

Many thanks indeed @HarryB.  It all seems OK again now.  Smiley

I'll make sure that I keep a note of the correct BBEU handy and remember to quote it when I report any similar problems in future.

Thanks also to @RobPN for his assistance, which pointed me in the right direction.