Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Trial Closure

mrlambo
Hooked

Re: FTTP Trial Closure

Same here, with BT but don't like it!

Loyalty lies with PlusNet tbf, so once there's an option to return I will.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@mrlambo 

Same here, but we might be for a long wait and although I got off to a bad start with BT, if there are no further problems then I might well stay with the devil I know - pending any special offers they might have to tempt me back of course. 🙄

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
ndv
Dabbler

@Minivanman wrote:  ...I got off to a bad start with BT, if there are no further problems then I might well stay with the devil I know...

I think those of us who were hoping to get FTTP from Plusnet would be interested to hear your experience of switching to BT, as it's an option that many are having to  consider, albeit reluctantly.

Minivanman
Legend

@ndv 

Well it was great fun of you can call it that with my first from BT bill being for £160 - and what was that for you might ask?

It was for 'installing' a phone line I did not ask for, did not want, but was told I must have and being assured in the process that there would be no charge. Well charge there was and for doing absolutely nothing other than for the engineer to turn up and say "oh, you already have a BT line and socket installed" Well yes, I said. I have already told you guys that but you insisted. "And you already have the internet up and running and oh, on fibre". "Err, yes" I replied "I told you guys about that as well"

Phone through (as you do) and got into a right old spat with a human algorithm who told me quite firmly that I needed to have a telephone line in order for the internet to work. No you don't I said, I'm on FTTP, so no line needed proof of which I've been using the internet for nearly a month before your engineer even arrived!

Hung up in the end as he was having none of it and phoned back to talk to somebody else who turned out to be just as obtuse. "I will check to see if you already had a line and socket" he said, and if I decide you did not then we might cancel that bill if you are telling me the truth".
Well you can imagine my reply... or not, only this time he beat me to it in hanging up.

All sorted now but really, where do they get these operators from? I asked both for their names and station numbers but got name only. Big help I know.

Anyways

Account now shows my bill at zero, next one due in October, so no internet charges from them for two months and all up and running at 50mbps download speed (upload 25mbps) along with a nice new BT Smart hub 2 which is giving far better wifi coverage around the house. No screen freezing or breakups when video calling the family, no delays when switching channels on the TV, and downloads to my Kindle and laptop an absolute dream. 

Sure, I'm paying a little extra per month but at least I am getting the sort of service Plusnet were not able to supply.  

Result.  😊

PS. Also got my old phone line back up and working which PN disconnected because I refused to pay for something I was not using - they then bumped my broadband charge up by a couple of quid in order to compensate for their loss. Still not going to use it as BT call charges leave a lot to be desired, but handy to have in case of a power cut and my VoIP line goes down.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
ndv
Dabbler

@Minivanman 

Thank you for posting that very graphic and illuminating description.  Clearly the overall outcome is a good one, but the journey getting there was very challenging!

I left BT long ago because of the unpleasant attitude of the people I was obliged to deal with when trying to sort out problems.  So it doesn't sound as if much has changed on that front!

Nigel

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep @Minivanman 

It always goes through in the back of my mind, "Did the engineer make a genuine mistake?", "Or were they on the take?".

("I am a poet and I didn't know it, as my dad used to say") 😛

I would go for the latter, as the engineer probably gets performance related pay and was hoping you wouldn't notice.

Good that you did. Worked for a company where people get PRP. It is nasty.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@ndv 

If they're your cup of tea, you may find that Sky are an option.

[Despite another poster claiming a  few weeks ago that TalkTalk had launched an FTTP product (which was actually limited to certain areas or some other obscure criteria as their checker told me "No" when I've had FTTP since 2015, and it was actually available to me in 2013) that turned out to be a damp squib.]

When I checked the Sky link below that I saw posted elsewhere and entered my address into their checker, just for once I was offered their FTTP products.

The lower speed option (80/20 Mbps) of the two offered was £25 per month (18 month contract, then rising in price) plus £19.95 install fee.

I'll let you check the higher speed option as I can't remember the details but I think it was something like £35 per month for 160/30 Mbps.

I don't think there was anything faster than that on offer, but at least that's another competitor to help get prices lower.

https://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/

Minivanman
Legend

@Alex 

During my short time as an engineer with DER (some here might remember them) we would earn bonus points if we managed to persuade a customer that they needed a new television (and at a higher rental of course) and being morally innocent at the time, went along with it. The points could be exchanged for different items and I finished up with rather a nice pair on binoculars (which my grandson 'borrowed' from me and never brought back  😊 )  and a neat little 110 camera cartridge which along with those 'bins' I had for years.   

So yes it did happen, and more than likely still does in one shape or other. 

Herman Melville
Alex
Community Veteran

Yep @ndv 

You may have been unlucky, and just dealt with nasty people. Reading your post, the person is implying you're being dishonest and a liar. Wonder where they got any CS training from? (if at all).

There is no need for that kind of behaviour, that is unacceptable. I don't blame you for having a go at them - I would.

I have had good CS service from here.

*sorry rant over*

I get Virgin Media as it is fast and I like it. Or Banson Media (as the Monoplies and Mergers Commisson had some long lunches down the pub when they let Richard take the whole of the UK cable network over).

I know not all places can get it, such as my sisters (where my PlusNet account is registered to), but as I work in IT I have to do the admin on that account. 🙂

I don't really like Sky, but you may have the option of Brandson Media (if available), or them. Their monthly cost is a lot lower than Virgin's. I just don't know why you have to have a year and a half contract. Answers on a postcard to "Customer retention increasing our share price".

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

There's always Zen Internet

Last time I checked they had FTTP with no phone on offer (though the savings over having a phone line were minimal).

Brian

Alex
Community Veteran

True @bmc 

With this day and age, I cancelled my landline now as it was costing me around £33 a month. My parents didn't use mobiles at all, now they're now longer with me, I cancelled it.

Now I just use my mobile, and having Branson Media I no longer need it.

My sister (who uses PlusNet) doesn't have cable down their street. It is a busy road, so I think it is highly unlikely Richard will get it installed within either of ours life expentancy.

So people who can get it are lucky, and there are some I don't think ever will.

mrlambo
Hooked

I moved into a new build that was sorted by Openreach for FTTP before we took the keys. I was advised to open a case with Openreach and keep on top of them as paperwork was supposedly the biggest delay in getting the line live, sometimes months!

I found my interactions with Openreach to be quite efficient and polite, even escalated my case due to a missed visit to prevent further delays.

Haven't dealt with BT Support directly yet (a good thing right), all has been good so far.

I had no choice but BT as a provider as they were the only service available for my address (related to it being a new build I think) and at that time, the difference between 80/20 and 300/50 was £45 or £54 a month...and I refuse to pay £45 a month for ADSL2+ speeds just because its over fibre lol.

Regularly get 310mbps.

Might take a look at other providers if/when they cover my area but...after the support I got from PlusNet staff and the forums in the ole' ADSL2+ days, I-will-be-back.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@mrlambo wrote:

... the difference between 80/20 and 300/50 was £45 or £54 a month...and I refuse to pay £45 a month for ADSL2+ speeds just because its over fibre lol.

You've lost me there @mrlambo ... Undecided

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@mrlambo 

You should have been able to select any ISP who provides FTTP over the OR network.

The problem is always getting the new address onto the OpenReach network so availability and then orders processed.

Brian

mrlambo
Hooked

Sorry @RobPN , upon re-reading I didn't make much sense lol...

At the time I signed up for the BT contract, the "80mbps/20mbps (down/up)" package over fibre, was £45/month and I saw that as "ADSL2+" speeds. It seemed like the lower speeds over fibre were not great value. I was paying like £22/month for 70/20 on PlusNet.

300mbps/50mbps - £54 was a much better deal (compared), and I thought: "if its going to cost me more anyway, go big or go home".