FTTP Trial Closure

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: FTTP Trial Closure

'Ding ding' - Last orders please!

guineapigsoup

I am assuming that Plusnet will launch an FTTP on Demand product shortly then, any idea on possible timescale.

September would be good for me.

Tim

agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

@guineapigsoup

The last thing you want Plusnet to offer is FTTP On Demand. The installation costs for this run into the thousands and the monthly charges are massive.

What you really want is a straight forward FTTP, unless you are a business where the cost implications of FTTP On Demand are not really of concern.

mrlambo
Hooked

Does anyone know what would happen now to existing customers (me) who are moving to a property with FTTP only and who have 4months left on their PlusNet contract?

Thanks!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@mrlambo

At this moment I believe you would have to change to another provider (phone service as well if with PlusNet).

There could be cancellation charges applicable.

Brian

AishaK
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 12

Hi @mrlambo,

I have left a ticket on your account with some information regarding your query. You can view this here

Please get in touch if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Aisha

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@mrlambo wrote:

Does anyone know what would happen now to existing customers (me) who are moving to a property with FTTP only and who have 4months left on their PlusNet contract?

@bmc wrote:

@mrlambo

At this moment I believe you would have to change to another provider (phone service as well if with PlusNet).

There could be cancellation charges applicable.

@mrlambo

I don't believe there will be any penalty for ending your contract with PN early in these circumstances as PN are UNABLE to provide a service to you at your new address (as described in your own thread) .  You do not have a copper line available to you through no fault of your own, and PN will be choosing not to connect you to the only available service, i.e. FTTP.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

While early termination fees would generally be applicable in these circumstances, in this instance we'd be happy to waive them.

While it's not the ideal answer I'd like to give (i.e. that we'd provide FTTP at the new address) I do hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mrlambo
Hooked

Thanks @HarryB,

PN customer service is second to none and I will be coming back to PN as soon as I can after I move house.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

No problem, I'm sorry that we can't do more at the moment, but we'll look forward to seeing you back if/when things progress with FTTP offerings with us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ndv
Dabbler

It is now 2 years since the FTTP trial ended, are Plusnet any closer to offering any FTTP products?  After years of struggling with a long problematic ADSL connection, FTTP is now available on the pole in my garden. But I understand the only way I can have it is to leave Plusnet and switch to BT.  For many reasons I really do not want to do this, I switched from BT to Plusnet many years ago and have no desire to return to them!  If there was a hint that there might soon be good news about FTTP products being launched it would strengthen my resolve to stay put! 

Tags (1)
Alex
Community Veteran

Yep @ndv I agree,

It seems that PlusNet have done some of the groundwork to make it a trial in the first place. I appreciate there is a lot more work for them to do to make it a fully fleged product. Such as staff training, changes to their backend systems to support it - et al.

Some of the work they have already done, so why not work on completing it?

As opposed to 2 years and doing the square root of nothing.

It is not acceptable when the response can be paraphrased to "We'll let you when we can be bothered to do anything else about it". Will that be within my life expentancy?

Meanwhile their competitors are overtaking them by actually providing it. I wondered who studied Business Studies at PlusNet (if at all).

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@ndv 

The reality is if you want FTTP you'll probably have to move. At least there's a wider choice nowadays - you have Zen, Sky, TalkTalk plus others if you dislike BT that much.

To offer FTTP PlusNet will need to completely re-write their back office systems which, at the moment, depend on a phone number being available. This is not always the case with FTTP as it does not use the existing copper network at all.

I've not heard even a whisper of this happening far less on how long it would take.

Brian

Alex
Community Veteran

Yep @ndv 

Then just change the phone number field in the database to allow NULL's? 😛

Being a bit more serious, I apprecate there is going to be more work to be done. I don't know PlusNet systems, whether the trial code is separate or intergtrated into their production system which they use.

Also how much more development work is required to make this into a full product. Yes it will cost PlusNet time and money to implement. If they need developer resources, then I would consider taking on people on contact who can work remotely from abroad.

We, customers and staff - know what it is like. People crave fast and faster internet. Even if you're a basic user like me who really just watches a bit of the news in the morning (which at the moment isn't going to be good), a bit of Facebook and checks their e-mail. Reminds me I need to get this problem sorted with Mac Outlook which keeps nagging me about my passwords being wrong. My iPhone doesn't - so strange. So I get my Excel password spreadsheet out and thankfully I managed to log onto the administrator account. Any admin will know that is a quite a useful thing 😀

• My domain registrations have renewed till 2021, so good.
  • Office 365 Exchange hosting has renewed, also good.

Sorry back on topic now, I think PlusNet just need to be careful about as this as it becomes more popular and are not just buring their head in the sand and ignoring it. It will be a bad business idea as they will lose customers who want to move and put off new customers as they don't support it.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

"Sorry back on topic now, I think PlusNet just need to be careful about as this as it becomes more popular and are not just buring their head in the sand and ignoring it. It will be a bad business idea as they will lose customers who want to move and put off new customers as they don't support it".

@Alex 

Well here's one ex plusnet customer waving from BT.

Sorry guys, but if you cannot supply the product and it's available from another provider, loyalty goes out of the window and folks are going to move elsewhere. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville