Did you mean: 

FTTP Trial Closure

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Re: FTTP Trial Closure

Hello @bionicbabe,

Sorry to say it does am afraid. Should it change to FTTP available before the trials end, please get in touch. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
bionicbabe

Ok thanks anyway!

ronc45
Hooked

I have joined Plusnet specifically to enable joining the trial when I move.  I will be moving to a new property in September / October that will be FTTP only. I was advised by your staff that this was the best option via this forum.  Now you are no longer accepting customers onto the trial I would like to understand the implications on my contract if you are no longer able to provide a service at the new property. My Plusnet userid is [Removed] if you need to message me via a ticket.

Ron

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@ronc45

Looks like you have the misfortune to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. People were always going to get caught out by the closure to new applicants.

Hopefully PlusNet will acknowledge this and allow you to move penalty free when the time comes.

However, you might want to leave this until as late as possible as PlusNet might (just might!!!!) introduce a commercial product before you move.

Brian

FxAxF
Rising Star

Bri, I agree. It's very unlikely that PlusNet will move away from a service without having a plan....even if not yet signed off...to cover for the future. If the technical nature of the trial has been confirmed, which I suspect it has been, then it's likely that commercials are to be agreed before a full service can be defined. That....plus they probably need to recruit a few more actors with Yorkshire accents to record the latest advert Cheesy

sjmartin60
Dabbler

How can I join the trail, unable to find a link. Thanks

Tags (1)
bmc
Hero

@sjmartin60

you need to have "WBC FTTP" showing in the LEFT hand column in the following

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

sjmartin60
Dabbler

I have WTC FTTP along the top showing Available underneath, tried to copy the page but copied the link instead

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

That is likely to be FTTPoD which is very expensive and not provided by PlusNet. You need to see WBC FTTP in the LEFT hand column - Available Products. So I don't think you can get on the trial, it's closing for new applications tomorrow anyway so not much time left.Sad

sjmartin60
Dabbler

Thanks everybody, although I am getting good speed FTTC 64mbps/16mbps it would be interesting to see how much faster FTTP would be

The_Dreamer
Grafter

Not much.

the fastest offering from PlusNet over FTTP is 80/20-ish. A colleague of mine downgraded his FTTC to a cheaper package and went from roughly 70Mbs to 40Mbs, and noticed no discernible difference in day to day use.

A lot depends on what’s at the other end of the line, so to speak. The sites you’re accessing need enough bandwidth to make higher speeds worthwhile.

I guess streaming HD and UHD movies is where one might notice a difference - but that’s not a big part of my usage, as bandwidth required to compete with true UHD discs would be excessive - not individually, but if everybody demanded UHD streaming at the same time, the servers required to service that demand would be quite something. So, even UHD streaming services don’t provide the same quality as a disc - close, but no cigar! So, any movie that I really want to watch, I’ll buy the disc.... (I think I’m digressing here)!

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@sjmartin60 wrote:

... it would be interesting to see how much faster FTTP would be

Unfortunately, as explained by @RealAleMadrid, from the information you've provided, native FTTP is not available to you.  Sad

With FTTP it would have been whatever speed your supplied package states (minus a small percentage for overheads) as there are no nasties like crosstalk, SNR Margins, line attenuation, REIN etc. to worry about.

The PN trial only provides two packages ATM, i.e. 40/10 Mbps and 80/20 Mbps Download/Upload, but we can probably look forward to higher speeds when the finished FTTP product is announced.

bmc
Hero

@sjmartin60

The column headers can (and have been) misleading. WBC FTTP must be in the left hand column with "1 stage" or "2 stage" shown in the column headed WBC FTTP.

FTTP would have given you around 75/77

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@The_Dreamer wrote:

I guess streaming HD and UHD movies is where one might notice a difference -

@The_Dreamer

Not forgetting of course the advantage of more available bandwidth to share amongst members of households who are all simultaneously using bandwidth-hungry applications, maybe even individually streaming movies.  Wink

sjmartin60
Dabbler

Thanks for the responses guys. Smiley