cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - Teething Problems

gm6988
Dabbler

FTTP - Teething Problems

Perhaps it's just me but my shiny new FTTP connection is now running very slowly.....actually about 500k which is slower than my old slow ADSL link.
After getting FTTP hooked up on Friday 27th August, I did see initially very fast downloads & uploads but something happened over the weekend (for me at least) so i thought I'd check that my old ADSL still worked......it did (you have to switch off your FTTP kit). So I know I have  backup plan if FTTP does continue to misbehave.
I'm now wondering what's happened....and how to follow up, I'm thinking that I'll just call the PlusNet service desk and ask them to investigate. I suppose I can't be ungrateful for being given the chance to take part in trial but it certainly seems for me that there's some teething problems to solve. The install & setup went really smoothly last Friday and was very excited with a weekend to play with it but hopefully I'll get it sorted during the week.
So is it just me or did other FTTP trial participants have teething problems after moving to FTTP?
Thanks
Glenn
10 REPLIES 10
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: FTTP - Teething Problems

I don't think CS have suitable training to help with trial faults - they will probably refer you to this forum which sounds like a brush off but isn't.
Your post here serves as a request for assistance and one of the trial support team should respond when they are back at work tomorrow.
David
David
gm6988
Dabbler

Thanks Dave - that's fine....I understand your comment about CS, I work for a software vendor and am completely familiar with piloting new products so am quite happy to use this forum as the place for feedback etc..
The issues I have are all part of the trial....so no problem..don't see this as brush off.
Cheers
Glenn
the_norris
Grafter

Hi Glenn
Have you checked what your profile is set to in your members area? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Also what was your speed on ADSL?
Phil
Be3G
Grafter

I think I remember seeing this happen before, a couple or few weeks ago, so I presume with FTTC. Problem is, I can't remember the cause or fix/resolution… so not much help really. Sad
the_norris
Grafter

Hi
The reason I ask is that I had a problem with the profile (speed setting) at Plusnet end.  On the morning or just before the install of FTTC my ADSL line had a speed change thus triggering a profile change at BT end and the sending of a notice of profile change to PlusNet.
So once FTTC was install - all was ok as Plusnet manually change the speed setting to 200000 (unlimited) on the morning of the booked FTTC install.  So after 24hrs my speed dropped to 3000 as the notice from BT about the speed change when i was on ADSL arrived at PlusNet.
A quick ticket to Dave soon fixed the problem. Setting was manually set back to 20000. 
Glenn switching back to the ADSL might also trigger the lower speed setting at BT's end thus the message to PlusNet too - if you can check your setting in your portal - we will know if we are looking in the right direction. Smiley
Phil
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi Glenn,
Sorry about that, it's exactly the same problem Phil had, a speed update was being processed from your old ADSL connection so it dropped the speed profile back down. I've fixed this for you now so your speed should be back to normal (you might need to disconnect and reconnect for the change to take effect). This is something that's on our to-do list for when we start development work on an actual FTTC/FTTP product but for now if it happens again I'll be sure to pick them up.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
the_norris
Grafter

Hi Dave,
This is two reports that I know of where this has happened.  Is there a option/feature on your system to disble updates from BT once FTTx has been installed or on installation day?
Or this might come a common issue when going live?
Phil
gm6988
Dabbler

Thanks guys.....as this thread confirms, it was the profile thing and once Dave sorted it out my speed went straight up to 10Mb download / 5Mb upload. A reset of OPT & router didn't make any difference it seems I'm stuck at 10Mb (gosh how can I complain about this....that's already 10x fast than I had before FTTP). Will see how things pan out durring today, hopefully it will head upwards. I've got a 15GB VM image to grab today/tomorrow so a boost up to the 70Mb everyone else has been seeing would be good....my download would be a nice realworld test, downloading a large file over my company VPN....I suspect the limit will be the VPN so actually 10Mb might still be plenty.
Will report back as things change.
Regards
Glenn
the_norris
Grafter

Hi Glenn
just a reminder - remember that VPN traffic maybe speed limited depending on your current package.
Good tool to check is here:  http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
Phil
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our system will always pick up profile changes on Delta reports, the only way around this is to set your provisioned product so something different - this will stop the Delta reports from being applied.
However, we only have access to the 20,000kbps profile on the ADSL2+ product so if you're provisioned on ADSL2+ then we can't really prevent the updates from happening.
However, if they do happen then there's an easy fix. FTTP customers can (and should) also turn their ADSL equipment off when FTTP is installed and should only be switched back on as a backup.