Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Stage 1

FIXED
PDT
Grafter
Fixes: 2

FTTP Stage 1

I’ve joined the FTTP trial and have an Openreach engineer due Wednesday 21st. Ive asked Plusnet if I can make a second Openreach appointment ASAP (as my diary is getting full and I want/need to be here) but they weren’t sure (waiting for the trials team to get back to me).
That said, I’ve read on a couple of posts the install is now completed on one visit. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks in advance!
14 REPLIES 14
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: FTTP Stage 1

I would imagine that a second appointment would be based on the success (or lack of!) the first appointment!

Does the DSL checker show you as a 1 stage or 2 stage install?

PDT
Grafter

The DSL checker shows as a 1 stage. I guess I’ll wait until Wednesday and see what happens!!
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

One stage means one visit - all going well.

There is a further bit of information available on the DSL Checker. After the results window there are several paragraphs of narrative. The first should apply to FTTP and say something about your line feed (OH or UG).

Brian

PDT
Grafter

Brilliant. Thanks BMC.

It’s an UG feed (which makes sense as my estate is block paved). Let’s see what Wednesday brings!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to the community forums.

I've just checked your order and I can see our suppliers have delayed the installation until the 27th.

I'll update your ticket shortly too. Hopefully all goes well then.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@PDT 

At least you know in advance of the change in appointment and can plan accordingly. For my install, and two others in my street in the same week, the engineer simply didn't turn up. It turned out they didn't have the house equipment required but didn't bother telling us.

The narrative about the UG feed should say something like feed proven clear, no problems anticipated, not evaluated. Whatever it says (unless proven clear!!!) the OR engineer won't know until they try to run the cable if there's any problem with the duct. The incoming phone line is the starting point for the install.

Brian

PDT
Grafter

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG congested duct.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.
Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.
bmc
Hero

@PDT 

A "UG congested duct" is not the best news but hopefully they'll still be able to run cable (as they're not saying "full"). As I've said before it's only when they try that you get a definite answer.

Brian

PDT
Grafter

Let’s hope! Can’t see the sense though if they can’t run a cable as they’ve only recently finished laying all the fibre!
PDT
Grafter

Fix
Openreach arrived promptly today to begin my fibre install. It turns out that the ‘congested UG duct’ was true however it was congested with small stones that had fallen down the duct and wedged in the bend!
Fortunately I had a great Openreach engineer who persevered for over 90 minutes trying to get a rod through the duct (big kudos to the engineer - he could have just wrote it off but stuck with it).
After that, it was plain sailing. Cable went through and ONT was installed.
I’m now getting 74 down/21 up (very pleased) however my ping is around 25-29ms (it was 15ms on adsl2) so was expecting something lower?
Overall, I’m very pleased. Now begins the job of reconfiguring every internet enabled appliance in the house!!
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

@PDT wrote:
I’m now getting 74 down/21 up (very pleased) however my ping is around 25-29ms (it was 15ms on adsl2) so was expecting something lower?

That ping does seem high for full fibre. I'm not a gamer so it's not my main priority but I just ran a speed test which gave 74/21 and a ping of 8ms. It is usually around 10-12ms
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm glad to hear the engineer stuck with the job and managed to get your FTTP service working for you.

If you would like to pass your thanks onto the engineer I'd recommend letting Openreach know here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PDT
Grafter

Done. Thanks for the link to the form
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all. Let us know if you ever need any further assistance.

But most importantly enjoy your new speeds. Cheesy

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet