Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Speeds:

KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: FTTP Speeds:

You haven't activated any parental controls on the router? The router supplied with FTTC has a known issue with parental controls and through put.. not sure what router is supplied with FTTP however.
tomxlisa
Grafter

I haven't touched anything in the router so i don't think it is that.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: KevinAndrews
You haven't activated any parental controls on the router? The router supplied with FTTC has a known issue with parental controls and through put.. not sure what router is supplied with FTTP however.

It's exactly the same.
@Tom - Bear with me, and I'll update the thread shortly. Bit of a weird one this as your speeds are exceeding the 40mb so it can't have changing the package that was the problem.

We need you to connect directly to the ONT as the next step just to be sure. Make sure there’s no programs running in the background as well. This is very similar to running a PPPoE test with a modem, just a different piece of kit that you're plugging into. Check here though replace the word 'modem' with 'ONT' where applicable.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
tomxlisa
Grafter

Just an update:
I must of been having a blonde moment at the time of speaking to you as i realised my connection wasn't direct using a ethernet cable as i described i am using powerline adapters which are connected to my computer via a ethernet cable, anyways moving on i tried my connection directly using a ethernet cable right into the router and got very near full speed around (75Mb) which i can assume is a good result for a 80Mb service, went back to the powerline adapters and got the usual slower speed again so obviously points to them, strange thing is though i used to get the same speed using them before i moved my computer and had to use a different power socket, for an experiment i have just tried the powerline adapter in all the sockets in my living room and i get similar results to the direct connection with the ethernet cable all being with the one i have to use which is close to my computer, i get the slower speed using that one, how typical so i am guessing these sockets are on a different circuit or summat as i was reading online that can slow the speed down, time to move the computer back i think.
Speed using the other sockets.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4195378243.png
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@tom as you have found its always useful testing alternative configurations using powerline adaptors.
We have a loft conversion with new power sockets but in one corner an old socket from the old stair landing. Guess what different circuits! (Different mcbs). The socket under the computer can't be used so have an Ethernet cable round the walls of the room to a socket on the other side  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
tomxlisa
Grafter

Looks as if i will have to do the same as that and run a ethernet cable round to one of the other sockets where i get the better speeds on.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear you found the issue in the end.
Based on what you've said there's a good chance the socket you were using was on a different ring main.
Some powerline adapters come with software that'll allow you to see the connection speed between the two homeplugs. I know Devolo do it but not sure of any others.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tomxlisa
Grafter

Yeah i think it is on a different main, i have just installed the software and i have two adapters in the living room and one is running at 168Mbps which is the bad socket and the other is at 11Mbps, not sure why that is so low as when i plug an adapter into that and turn the other one off it goes much higher as it is one of the good sockets which gives me close to my 80Mb speeds, i have just tested one adapter on its own in the socket which gives 11Mbps and got a much higher speed so maybe has something to do with having two adapters on at once.