cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Speed

trunktree

FTTP Speed

I recently signed up to the Fibre To The Premises trial and selected the Unlimited Fibre Broadband & Calls package. On their web site, PlusNet are quoting download speeds of up to 76Mbps and uploads of 19.6Mbps.
After the installation was complete, I received an email from PlusNet confirming my package but saying that my estimated download speed would be 36Mbps.
I have waited the obligatory 10 days for the system to 'settle' and am getting consistent speeds of 36-37Mbps download and 18-19Mbps upload.
The only help I can find about fibre speeds on the PlusNet site appears to refer to FTTC and talks about the length of copper cable from my property to the nearest green cabinet. The only copper (if it is copper) cables in my system are the short Ethernet leads connecting PC to PN Router and PN Router to BT interface box so what is controlling my download speed?
Michael
7 REPLIES 7
AndyH
Grafter

Re: FTTP Speed

Hi
What does it say here for current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
Just to make sure you have FTTP - does the BT Interface Box have PON/LOS/Optical/Ports 1-4/Tel 1 & Tel 2 on it?
There is no 10 day training period for FTTx.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hi trunktree
Have you ran the BTW speedtest and then used the "Further Diagnostics" option?
http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/
This will show you what your speed range should be. If you are on 80/20Mbps then if the test showed less than 40Mbps you will get a option to run a TAP3 test. Follow the instructions and do so. If that TAP3 test fails to complete, don't worry as it does most of the time for me.
Screen grab all the test results as you go along to help you keep track of the problem.
And then log a support call with Plusnet and attach the screen grabs.
Are you in MK7 Walnut Tree by chance as there has been issues here (see my posts on the topic intermittent speed in this forum)?
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
AndyH
Grafter

The Further Diagnostics is still broken using the postcode/house number inputs, unless you have your circuit id.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@AndyH
In that case then trunktree will need to open a support ticket and in that ask for the circuit id too along with the speed issue.
I'm always using the circuit id now so hadn't tried the postcode option. Seems to have been broken for a long time now  Sad
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
AndyH
Grafter

Been broken for around a month now - I do hope it's been raised with BTw as a fault because I have pointed it out on several occasions.
If the OPs on FTTP - I think it will be a case that his line speed is set incorrect PN's end. He has to be provisioned on 80/20 as there is no 40/20 FTTP product supplied by Openreach/BTw.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there
The current line speed wasn't set correctly.
I've updated that now so if you log into your router then disconnect and reconnect your connection you should see a increase
Any further issues please give us a shout
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
trunktree

Many thanks.
Quick check now shows download speed of 73.3Mbps, upload 19.2Mbps.