Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Speed terrible again - & has been for months

PA198759
Hooked

FTTP Speed terrible again - & has been for months

Hi there, 

I sent a message some months ago regarding poor FTTP speeds - we're on the 80/20 contract and very often get less than 10% of the stated download speed. Given the faff involved in complaining, I haven't, but the speed is terrible most of the time. 

I'm accessing the internet via wifi and realise this will result in lower and less consistent speeds, but find the drop off to be totally unacceptable. Please can you check the status of my account/reset as appropriate and offer alternative, better router hardware if there are no obvious system issues on your side. 

It really isn't acceptable to pay for FTTP speeds when we're getting speeds that would be poor for regular copper line broadband.  

I look forward to hearing back. 

4 REPLIES 4
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: FTTP Speed terrible again - & has been for months

@PA198759 wrote: 

I'm accessing the internet via wifi and realise this will result in lower and less consistent speeds, but find the drop off to be totally unacceptable. Please can you check the status of my account/reset as appropriate and offer alternative, better router hardware if there are no obvious system issues on your side. 

It really isn't acceptable to pay for FTTP speeds when we're getting speeds that would be poor for regular copper line broadband.  

Sorry to sound unsympathetic, but if your speed is OK when tested using an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi, then you're getting what you pay for.

I've seen quite a few complaints similar to yours on the forum, most of which were caused purely by Wi-Fi which is highly susceptible to various local conditions causing such problems as low signal levels or interference, which when tested by substituting an Ethernet cable proved the FTTP connection was OK.

So PN will probably tell you to test as described before investigating further ... 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with wireless signal. As you are receiving the expected speed by Ethernet cable please follow our step by step guide below to assist with resolving wireless issues and avoiding interference. 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

We only offer our Plusnet Hub One and after surface checking your service we are unable to detect a fault. 

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PDT
Grafter
Fixes: 2

I’ve had a similar issue to you. Wired was great and consistent however Wi-Fi was appalling. Even after looking for empty channels in my house and moving my PN One Hub to a channel that was unused rarely resolved my issues for more than a couple of days.

To solve this, I’ve installed a Ubiquiti AC access point and cabled that to a switch (although not necessary). My PN One Hub is purely used as a modem and feeds the switch. WiFi on my One Hub is turned off.

With this setup I’ve just about ellimated all WiFi speed issues. Okay, a cost me about £200 all in, but was well worth it.
The_Dreamer
Grafter

@PA198759

As others have already stated - your problem isn’t the FTTP; that appears to be working just fine. The problem is your wi-fi.

Personally, I’ve never bothered with the router offerings from any ISP, they’re all built down to a budget, and may be fine for your average 3 bed semi, but anything bigger than that will need something that’s up to the job.

Ubiquiti has already been mentioned, and has a good reputation, as do many of the ‘mesh’ offerings. I’m using a Linksys Velop system to cover my property with wi-fi, and even with 5 units, I find I could probably do with a couple more to have decent access everywhere.

Basically, if you need decent wi-fi coverage, you’re going to have to pony up, and put your hand in your pocket for a more capable system. Even having paid nearly £300 for my system, I only average around 25Mbps using wireless connections - a tri-band system may provide better throughput, but then that would nearly double the price!

For anything ‘mission critical’, like streaming to the cinema system, I use a wired connection. Have you considered powerline adapters? Some of these can act as a wireless access point too - depending on where and how you want to use a wireless connection, they may provide a solution.

Best of luck!