cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Poor Speeds?

triplekid
Dabbler

FTTP Poor Speeds?

I've just been connected to FTTP after a long wait due to an openreach issue. What sort of speeds can I expect on the fibre trail? Im currently getting 6 down and 19 up. I was expecting faster speeds than this  Cheesy
17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTP Poor Speeds?

Hi there,
It looks like we need to make some changes on your account, trying to get this looked at now for you.
Adam
UPDATE: I've just been told that your account is now up to date re your details, speed profile setting etc so check again in about 15 mins Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
triplekid
Dabbler

Thanks Adam. I'll try another speedtest and report back.
triplekid
Dabbler

The speedtest still shows 6 down but a decrease to 10 up.
Do i need to reset the router?
AndyH
Grafter

Which speed variant did you sign up to?
Have you tried resynching your ONT and router?
triplekid
Dabbler

I've rebooted both the openreach kit and the plusnet router but there is no change to my connection speeds  Huh
To be honest as mad as it sounds but I have no idea which speed variant I signed upto as I wasn't given an option, just asked if I wanted to join the trial.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

AIUI, joining the FTTP trial is supposed to get you a connection provided at 80/20 down/up, and then you should actually get those speeds because of the fact you are on FTTP.
AndyH
Grafter

How are you rebooting the ONT? Removing the backup battery supply unit power connector from the ONT then reconnecting it?
Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting from PN from your router admin page?
triplekid
Dabbler

Quote from: AndyH
How are you rebooting the ONT? Removing the backup battery supply unit power connector from the ONT then reconnecting it?
Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting from PN from your router admin page?

Yes i have tried all of the above. I was advised by PN that it may take a couple of days for fibre speeds to become available so ill give it a couple of days before raising a support ticket.
AndyH
Grafter

Hmm I don't quite understand why PN advised you about that - as soon as you're connected, you should get whichever speeds your line is provisioned to. It might be (as was for me) that you PN profile isn't set to the correct speed for that variant. What does it say here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed?
You could also try a BT Speedtest http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ then run the Further Diagnostics (need to put in postcode/street number). This will tell you which FTTP speed variant you've been set up with.
triplekid
Dabbler

The bt wholesale test gives similar speed / latency figures as speedtest.net but strangely when searching for my fibre details the site advises it cant find any fttp services for my address?!?!?!
The PN profile page still lists my old PSTN line number with estimated speed of 2Mb but a current line speed of 7Mb. Could this be the issue... PN system still shows my old ADSL details?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
I've just got to the bottom of this, to cut a long story short someone let us both down earlier. I've corrected the speed profile on the account myself and everything should be fine now.
According to our resident FTTP guru your speeds may stay at around 40mb (d/s) for the first 24 hours but see how things are now and sorry for the hassle.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyH
Grafter

Yeah that's the issue I think. PN need to put you on the right profile, then you will be up to speed.
Mine shows this:
Estimated line speed:
36Mb (This may vary between 34Mb and 38Mb) - Checked on 2013-06-24 15:50:05
Current line speed:
92 Mb

The BT database takes a few days to update based on your postcode/house number. But if PN give you your broadband circuit ID, then it should work instantaneously.
triplekid
Dabbler

Thanks for the feedback guys. Checked the PN profile and see line spped has increased to 76Mb.
A quick line check verified a speed increase   Wink Hopefully it will keep increasing to the full 80Mb download  Shocked
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hopefully it will keep increasing to the full 80Mb download

It should do, yes. Gimme a shout if not Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team