Did you mean: 

FTTP Plusnet Provided Router

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: FTTP Plusnet Provided Router

*Phew* Because I think we’re starting to run out of routers. Cheesy
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
leehowarth
Grafter

@Gandalf

Feel really cheeky asking as I'm not a PN old timer like some on here but are there any more routers hiding in the back of the cupboard?

I wouldn't ask but I'm having no end of trouble with this one. I'm finding I'm having to set up new connections on most devices almost every time I use them. I live in a 3 storey house so would expect WiFi issues but being honest I've never noticed issues like this with any other routers. When I set up connections again I can see the WiFi network but they just aren't connecting automatically. It's happening to lots of different devices such as televisions, tablets, consoles.

This must be a firmware issue as I've had older BT home hubs work really well in this house.

Alternatively if you have any suggestions I'm all ears as in its current state its getting close to useless ☺️
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@leehowarth the router we've sent you is fairly new still. Whilst that doesn't mean it can't be faulty, I'd be surprised if it was at fault. Can you try the steps here and here letting us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
David_W
Rising Star

Thanks Galdalf, the router arrived a few days ago and I've been using it since, there is no empirical evidence but it does feel a bit snappier, it can also be used as a night-light to keep the ghosties away in the bedroom Tongue

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

there is no empirical evidence but it does feel a bit snappier

Glad to hear it's working well for you.

it can also be used as a night-light to keep the ghosties away in the bedroom Tongue

Don't forget the internet monsters under the bed too.

I'm kidding, there's no such thing... I hope.

Joking aside again.

There should be an option in the router settings at 192.168.1.254 to turn the brightness down if you need to.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
leehowarth
Grafter

@Gandalf

Ive had the 2.4 and 5GHz split from the start, I always do that. See attached.

I've bought a Netgear WiFi extender, I'll see how that goes. Whenever a device won't connect or keeps disconnecting I'll connect it to the extender instead. It's clear this router isn't up to the job, I'm using a WiFi analyser and I can see the extender provides a better signal in every part of the house, even when I'm nearer to the router. It's clear this router isn't up to the job.
leehowarth
Grafter

@Gandalf

I have followed the advice on those links, thanks for posting them. I have already split the networks.

I purchased a Netgear mini N300 WIFI extender last week and i've given it over the weekend to test but i'm still having the same issues. The extender is literally 6 feet away from the router and its providing excellent signal throughout the house whereas the router rarely gives full signal to even the next room, the problem is that the extender communicates to the router via WIFI and so i'm still having the same issues.

I fired my laptop up this morning and it could see the network but just wouldn't connect, I connected via ethernet and it worked straight away. I had the same issue with the Sky box last night and a couple of TV's are doing the same. They all exhibit the same behaviour in that when they been off for a while they aren't reconnecting to the WIFI when i power them on. Sometimes I can just manually tell the device to connect to the WIFI, other time I have to manually set up again using the password.

These devices are all over the house from the same floor to 2 floors up, I cannot see a difference location makes. 

My son is telling me the xbox stops connecting to xbox live and he gets lots of lag when it does work, a reboot of the router usually fixes that but i'm sure I shouldn't have to keep rebooting it multiple times a day.

You only have to do a quick Google search to see how many people have wifi issues with this router. What is your solution to this problem please?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There are many environmental factors which can impact the wireless performance of a router.

For example, in my own house the WiFi signal is fairly poor, but in my parents bigger house it reaches to the far end. In my case, it might be caused by the solid brick walls.

With that said, I'm sending you another one just to rule out a faulty router.

Let us know how you get on when you receive it.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
leehowarth
Grafter

@Gandalf

Thanks mate, it's at the post office awaiting collection, I don't think I need it though. I've been experimenting with moving the router and range extender and I've found a configuration that seems to work well. I've now removed the extender and am trying without and it appears to be working well.

I'm off to buy a huge drill bit in the morning to allow me to run an ethernet cable into the hallway as that seems to be the sweetspot to have the router.

Do you have an address to return your router to?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear your WiFi signal has improved.

Do you have an address to return your router to?

The router will come with a free-post returns bag.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
varsava

Now that my kids are old enough I've been allowing them to use their tablets in their bedrooms and I've found that my old Zyxel P-2812HNU(L) is struggling to provide decent WiFi  coverage.  Don't suppose there's any chance of me scoring a new router please?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Given that the Plusnet supplied router (Plusnet Hub One) has lots of complaints about WiFi on these boards, it might be better to buy your own device.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

There's no guarantee that the PlusNet router will have better WiFi than your current unit - reception is a dark art!!!

It you are looking for a new router you might consider one with enhanced parental controls rather than a basic unit.

Brian

krusty
Rising Star

WIfi isn't a dark art, but very suspect able to different conditions. What Works in house a will not work as well in house b. Also house a, may need different needs to house b.

If you have fairly modern cabling look at the gigabit power line adaptors with wifi units as these can add coverage to a house quite quickly...

I would say look at mesh wifi, but i'm not 100% if this is using different tech to wds or not (if its wds tarted then i wouldn't recomend it along with the bog standard wifi extender).

Also not the 2.4ghz spectrum is very crowded and trying other channels can and will help.

If you can cat5e run your house then thats the ideal situation; then you can add wifi access points at your choosing or switches ..

varsava

Bought a wifi extender and that seems to have helped a bit.  Have to use 2.4ghz though as that's all the router supports.