cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Plusnet Provided Router

triplekid
Dabbler

FTTP Plusnet Provided Router

What router is PN currently providing for FTTP? I have the 2704 and really struggling with poor wifi performance. This was provided to replace the older FTTP router which suffered regular broadband drops not just wifi. I've disabled 300Mb mode on the 2704 to try and help but still get regular wifi drops. I'm tempted to purchase a router myself but don't want to spend a fortune. If PN can provide a decent alternative i'd be willing to give it a try. 

29 REPLIES 29
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: FTTP Plusnet Provided Router

You must have been on FTTP for a good while to have the 2704!!!

PlusNet currently supply a Home Hub for FTTP which is basically a re-badged BT Home Hub 5a.

You can, if lucky, get a BT Smart Hub 6 on EBay quite cheaply but you must make certain it is the FTTP version. The way to tell is to look at a picture of the back of the unit. Normal VDSL ones have 4 yellow LAN ports. The FTTP version has 3 yellow LAN ports and one red WAN port.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Due to the length of time you've been with us (Thanks for that Thumbs_Up ), I've ordered you our latest fibre router now which you should receive within a few days.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Hobo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Hi @Gandalf

I know it is not free gift week but as I have been a PlusNet customer since 2005 and on FTTP since 2013 any chance of replacing my original supplied 582n fibre router, while stable on Ethernet connection it has never given good  Wi-Fi  coverage and as we get more wireless appliances appears to be getting worse.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

triplekid
Dabbler

@Gandalf wrote:

Hi there.

Due to the length of time you've been with us (Thanks for that Thumbs_Up ), I've ordered you our latest fibre router now which you should receive within a few days.

I hope this helps.

Fantastic news Cheesy Thank you Thumbs_Up

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Hobo it sure does feel like free gift week. Smiley I've ordered you a new router now.

Let us know how you get on when you receive it.

@triplekid no problems at all. Cheesy

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Hobo
Rising Star

Many thanks, just trust it will give better coverage than the old router, will let you know .Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries, fingers crossed!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Hobo
Rising Star

@Gandalf wrote:

Let us know how you get on when you receive it. 

A definite improvement can sit in the conservatory with a glass of the red stuff while connected  using the Wi-Fi.   Thumbs_Up Smiley

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Glad to hear the improved WiFi signal is coming in handy. Thumbs_Up
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
David_W
Rising Star

Is it still free week?  My router has been playing up recently so I came over to ask about a replacement and saw this post so figured I'd be cheeky Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@David_W As it turns out it is still free week.

Don't tell anyone I said that please.

Joking aside. I've reviewed your account and decided to send you a new router.

It should arrive within a few days. Hope this helps. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Gandalf I've been with PN for over 15 years and never had a PN router, is there a cash alternative?  Grin

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RobPN Unfortunately not, although a router can be sold for cash... Cheesy

If you're experiencing problems with your current router, I'll be happy to send one out for you?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

No Problem @Gandalf - I was only joking  Wink