Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Installs

FIXED
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

FTTP Installs

Does anybody have pictures of a recent FTTP install - I am interested in seeing the current set up used. Can't find anything on-line.

Thanks

Brian

15 REPLIES 15
Teece
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: FTTP Installs

Inside, outside, or both?

bmc
Hero

Thanks for replying.

Both if you've got them. Just an outside chance FTTP will come to my location in the next year (if the Gov will spend some money!!!) so I was wondering what the equipment looks like.

Until then I'm stuck with my 6.7 downloads!!!

Brian

Teece
Rising Star

There's an image of the ONT and BBU (interior kit) in this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/Finding-out-what-Openreach-are-going-to-do...

There are images of the CSP (and older interior kit) on this blog, which also gives a good idea of the install:

http://tom.goskar.com/2013/09/20/my-fibre-to-the-premises-fttp-installation-part-1/

HTH

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@Teece, neither of those URL's work for me.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Teece
Rising Star

Post edited - try again, sorry.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Looking good, thanks

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

Thanks for the links but I suspect they are both out of date in terms of what OpenReach do now.

As I understand it the external connection is similar to a satellite cable being installed - a hole is drilled through and the cable (or duck) is fed through with a cover installed over the hole.

As to the internal set up I've read reports that the battery back up was to be included in the main unit - neater solution than days of old.

Hence my request for recent photos.

Brian

Teece
Rising Star

Fix

@bmc, the image of the CSP reflects what was installed on the exterior of my house last month.  Whilst I don't have the internals yet, our neighbors do (installed in February), and it's the same kit as in the image.  So, not so out of date.

bmc
Hero

Teece

Thanks for the info. What little I could find on the web appears to have been wrong.

It might all be moot at the end of the day. When the contract to supply FTTP is put out to tender (if it ever is, you simply don't know with the Gov or the local council) it might not be OpenReach that wins. If an alternative supplier gets the gig then it'll be hobsons choice!!!

Brian

Teece
Rising Star

@bmc - the OR engineer who did my install this morning said that connectorized fibre is being trialled currently.  This does away with the CSP.  He didn't mention any change to the ONT, so that kit may well be staying the same.

bmc
Hero

Teece

Somewhere I'm sure I had read that OR had completed trials on speeding up FTTP installs (and reducing costs!!!) but darned if I can find it now. Part of the article implied that an external box was no longer required. Only thing I can find is an article from Oct 2016 in ComputerWeekly which includes the following

"Above ground, a new breed of “plug-and-play” fibre connector means Openreach engineers will be able to connect a new FTTP customer in seconds, making their working lives more efficient."

Brian

bmc
Hero

So, according to a local councillor OpenReach have agreed to provide FTTP to overcome the TPON cabinets with the work possibly done by January 2018 - so here's hoping.

I found an article on "Connecterised Fibre" which appears to be the way forward. Hopefully this is how they do it - I have an OpenReach manhole about 3 metres from my front door.

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

With the possibility of FTTP getting ever closer I have just read the PlusNet Terms & Conditions (and FAQ's) for the trial. This has left me with a question for a PlusNet FTTP advisor. The Terms state the trial is for existing "fibre" customers - hopefully this is just a wording error as I'm on an ADSL product (since FTTC can't be provided to TPON cabinets).

Can someone Please confirm I'll be eligible for the trial (if it's still going when the time comes!!!). Two of my neighbours will also be signing up if all's well.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I think this has been raised before, it is definitely an error because in almost all areas where FTTP is available FTTC will not be. So existing ADSL customers can go on the trial, that is why new customers have to sign up to ADSL and then get moved to FTTP, seems a crazy roundabout way of doing it but that's PlusNet for you. Their excuse is that it's a trial and they or their suppliers can not directly order the FTTP service, sounds like "computer says no" scenario to me.Smiley

bmc
Hero

@RealAleMadrid Thanks - it makes sense when you see it in writing. If it was fibre only then there would be few takers as FTTP wouldn't be available in most FTTC areas.

Although it was about a month ago the local councillor spread the news of FTTP being available to the TPON cabinets I've not seen any official announcements other than the OpenReach "When can I get Fibre" website updating to show the cabinets as "In Scope". My interest was rekindled yesterday when my neighbour stated OpenReach were working up the road. After a bit of digging I found a piece of news which had me scurrying to the councillor's website. There a found an entry from Monday.

The OpenReach work could be one of two things. A new street cabinet installed to deal with 60 odd EO lines has a fault which means some lines can't get connected or OpenReach have started on FTTP on one of the neighbouring streets.

Two things caught my attention. The councillor stated that OR have to put "boxes" on the outside of houses for FTTP which would mean the old style of FTTP installs - will have to wait and see on that one. He also stated that the TPON cabinet for this area would be the first to get FTTP. He's plain wrong on that score - one of the other TPON cabinets is now showing as accepting FTTP orders.

I suspect this is due to the fact that last year this area was looking at doing a Community funded upgrade which got as far as OR doing street works. The infrastructure was in place and OR have simply activated it (or possibly just finished off what little work was still required).

Brian