cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - I turned my FTTP off for 2 weeks....and.....

gm6988
Dabbler

FTTP - I turned my FTTP off for 2 weeks....and.....

Just thought I'd post this as a nice to know bit of feedback.
I only had FTTP for 1 week and then had to go on holiday for a couple of weeks (shame) I reluctantly turned off all my electrical kit (you never know when a summer storm might come along & cause lightening damage). But, hey I thought that's what the trial is for, to try out different things and see what happens.
On Sunday I got home after 15 days and switched on the boxes....Internet came up within a minute and has been happy ever since.
So now I'm back I can continue to test all this lovely fast connectivity.
Cheers
Glenn
11 REPLIES 11
jonnywishbone
Grafter

Re: FTTP - I turned my FTTP off for 2 weeks....and.....

Whats even more impressive is the fact that you went on holiday only 1 week after having fttp installed!!!
As for a "summer electrical storm", well erm hmmmm err, what summer? More chance of being hit by a rogue solar flare if todays news is anything to go by Cool
On another note, aren't we supposed to leave the equipment on as part of the terms of the trial?
Thanks for the update though (BTW what speeds are you getting and where are you?)
gm6988
Dabbler

Yep - was a shame to leave the FTTP link just sitting there, but I checked the Ts & Cs, there was nothing in there about not being allowed to go on holiday  Wink
Speedwise, I'm generally seeing about 10-20Mb download & 10 upload....I mainly use wi-fi so this is to be expected, I do plan to get a cable to the router which had to be placed away from where I mainly work but will get round to that soon. But whilst all the speedtests are fun, I think it will be more practical if we all start to provide more realworld feedback about the type of sites we use (Ok not all of them) and the type of results we see when hammering things like iPlayer etc.
I'm in Loughton so never saw more than 1.5Mb before FTTP.....and I now realise how lucky I was to get that much.
Will leave it switched on all the time now.
Cheers
Glenn
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Want an -N spec router? Not much point in your trialling FTTP if you don't have the right kit!
nibor
Grafter

You sure ur  on FTTC not FTTP with only 10-20mb download ?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

-G wireless can only do up to around 20Mbps.
jonnywishbone
Grafter

I'm getting between 50 and 80mbs at the moment using the supplied wireles N dongle (in the same room).
However my ipad only gets upto 34mbs (average 20mbs), my iphone 3g even worse still - 8mbs but my wifes iphone 4 gets upto 20mbs.
gm6988
Dabbler

I have the right kit for wifi, using the N spec on my laptop, my other workstation has the Thomson dongle but it's not quicker. I'll do some more experimentation this weekend but the fastest I've seen wifi work was about 34Mb when it was first switched on....I wonder if I've got a profile problem.....so will try various combinations this weekend to see what I get.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks, please let us know how it goes as we've got some -N spec Netgears in our warehouse for distribution.
jonnywishbone
Grafter

My wifi keeps dropping on my thomson router, couldn't get a connection on any of my devices last night (xbox slim, ipad, iphones, laptops etc) unless I hardwired.
Resetting the router does't work, I have to "set up" my router again using the gateway on a wired connection to get it working again.
Starting to get a bit tired of doing this now (approx 2/3 times a week!)
readingg
Grafter

I've also been having a lot of problems with the wireless connections via the Thomson router - connections frequently drop out and won't reconnect, the speed drops down  to 0.5 Mbps and have to reboot the router to fix, also speedtest never gives more than 30Mbps on my wireless connections even though nominally connected at much more than that.  Lots of complaints from my kids as wireless internet access over fibre is often slower than it was over copper (netgear DG834N router was much better than the Thomson for wireless).
Any chance of swapping the Thomson router for a netgear?
Regards
Gary
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Probably possible to set up th Netgear to do your wireless and leave the Thomson to do the internet side of things.
Would mean disabling wireless in the Thomson and setting up the Netgear as just a WAP, not a router, I've never messed around with that particular model of Netgear, but some Netgears can be configured that way, and many of those that can't you can download custom firmware and do it.