cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Down Speed

teddman
Grafter

FTTP Down Speed

i am taking part in the FTTP trial. iv got the unlimited FTTP product and was quoted speeds of upto 76mb/s down. I am sadly only getting 8mb/s down and 28up.... whereas on copper broadband i was STILL getting 8mb/s but 1up. How come my upload speed has dramatically improved but down is still maxed out at 8? My line is capable of 330mb/s according to the DSL checker. Im a bit worried that im spending more money on something that isnt giving me any more speed.
Thanks for any help
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTTP Down Speed

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Are you by chance located in Milton Keynes, and the Walnut Tree area more specifically? If so , please read the thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121399.0.html

Also how long have you had the fttp link? Sometimes Plusnet do not switch your speed profile so you are limited to the download speed you had on ADSL. Check on your profile speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Raise a support ticket by phone or from the plus.net website if the phone isn't answered within a reasonable time.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
teddman
Grafter

hello thanks for the quick replies. I am not in milton keynes, im in cornwal lol.
I think you may be correct as on that page it says estimated speed 5mb and current 8mb obviously depending on what product i have. But surely if the upload has gone up massively then download should of too, not stayed the same.
I guess i shall have to ring them or will they do it?
SpendLessTime
Hero

Ring them, it's easy for them to do. They wait until Opanreach tell them it's done (at least that's what they told me when I rang to complain about the download speed last year) but will change it if you ring.
Be impatient 🙂
g3ucq
Grafter

Teddman
I am also in Cornwall and had FTTP installed on Tuesday this week. The down speed was about 15Mbps to start with and then dropped to 4.5Mbps. I rang PN and was told that for some reason my connection had been changed, they quickly remedied the connection and now I am getting about 20Mbps again.  I assume it will climb up to around 30Mbps+ in the next few days.
I have to say that PN have been very good with the whole installation as an engineer failed to turn up twice and it was sorted.
HTH
John in Hayle
teddman
Grafter

Hello. Forgot to post yesterday. I rang them and they sorted it in 2 mins. Like it was mentioned here the speed profile had not been changed. Restarted my router and am now getting 37mbs down and 22up. PN are generally excellent at sortin anything iv had to throw at them. I too had an engineer fail to appear when we moved in. Anyway. All sorted.
Mike in Helston
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: John

I am also in Cornwall and had FTTP installed on Tuesday this week. The down speed was about 15Mbps to start with and then dropped to 4.5Mbps. I rang PN and was told that for some reason my connection had been changed, they quickly remedied the connection and now I am getting about 20Mbps again.  I assume it will climb up to around 30Mbps+ in the next few days.
John in Hayle

Quote from: teddman
... Restarted my router and am now getting 37mbs down and 22up. PN are generally excellent at sortin anything iv had to throw at them. I too had an engineer fail to appear when we moved in. Anyway. All sorted.
Mike in Helston

If you're both on FTTP via the PlusNet FTTP trial then AFAIK you should have been provisioned on 80Mbs/20Mbs Download/Upload so you should both be getting those speeds not the speeds you have stated which are both well down on 80Mbs.
SpendLessTime
Hero

If you are both on fttp then there is not any speed learning phase, it should be full speed from day one.
I have been made aware of some BT users on fttp in Cornwall who are experiencing slow speeds. You might like to read about it at https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Cornish-Speeds-dropping-in-the-evenings-and...  and then tell Plusnet about it on your support tickets. if you are all experiencing it, then the error is a group error and should be treated as such.
This sounds similar to the issue fttp users including myself have been experiencing since December last year in Milton Keynes.
g3ucq
Grafter

RobPN
I signed up for the 38Mbps deal so do not expect the 80Mbps you quoted.  However, I was told that it would be 10 days before I got the speeds I signed for but right now its still about 20Mbps and has been that virtually since day one.
John
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

As suggested above if you are not getting near full whack fro the start there's something wrong somewhere
I think this 10 day settling in period is a bit of an "urban myth" especially where fttp is concerned, and often used as an excuse by installation engineers who need to be somewhere else
I had my laptop  and router ready next to the ONT as the BT engineer activated it. As soon as the green light appeared and the router established connection I hit "go" on a speedtest - 65/21 on an 80/20 service (ok 15Mb/s light but I didn't wire in the laptop! Next day  I wired it in and was up to 72/21)
chrcoluk
Grafter

I am not on the trial but the nature of FTTP technology means you either get full speed or it doesnt work at all (I mean connection speed not throughtput which will still be subject to congestion etc.).
So like the others have said you should be seeing full speed (at least have a full speed profiile) already.
g3ucq
Grafter

Thanks for your input.  I have now established that the speed at the router is 34Mbps but it is the use of powerline adapters to get the signal upstairs to my PC that is causing the drop to about 20Mbps.
They are Devolo Duo 500+ and even a few feet apart there is a drop in speed so I don't know what to do now.  I tried using wireless but I only get 3.5Mbps with that Sad
Any thoughts?
Thanks
John
AndyH
Grafter

Are you on 40/10 FTTP?
I am not sure there is much you can do about powerlines - there are some tips here though http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/31238-slow-homeplug-five-ways-to-boost-powerline...
g3ucq
Grafter

Yes Andy, I am on the 38Mbps setup and thanks for the link re. powerline adapters.
I have been in touch with Devolo and they reckon one of the adapters may be faulty.  (They are the 500 Duo+ models)
I am going to change them for their wireless powerline adapters in the hope that wireless may get me the speed where my home circuit cannot.  We'll see.
Thanks again
John