cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Any connection problems in Milton Keynes?

andypearson
Grafter

FTTP Any connection problems in Milton Keynes?

Hi Dave/anyone
for the first time since I was setup with FTTP a month or so ago now, I have completely lost my fibre connection. My "on the wall" ONT box still has the 3 green lights on it, but the wireless router has an Amber (rather than Green) light, and I have no internet connection. I tried powering down both the ONT and Router, but no joy. I am now back running on my old ADSL Broadband connection (back to <2Mbps) but am at a loss as to whether there is a problem with the service here in MK or whether I have an individual problem - and hence need to raise a ticket. All was working fine up till around 11.00am this morning...
Thanks
Andy
22 REPLIES 22
bigladuk
Grafter

Re: FTTP Any connection problems in Milton Keynes?

Mine went off about 11:30 too but it's back now
Smiley
First time in maybe 6months I've had an outage
Si
James
Grafter

Hi guys,
We've just been made aware of a potential (read as very likely) outage in Milton Keynes.
We don't currently have any timescales for resolution yet I'm afraid.
Emlyn
Dabbler

Mine went off at about 11 but I'm away from home now and don't know whetherit's back.
However I found this useful link:
http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status
bigladuk
Grafter

Well I'm all back now so I assume everyone is.
Not a long outage unless it's going again.
Si
andypearson
Grafter

Thanks all - yep - I'm back going again now. Slightly concerning initially - probably because it's my first experience of FTTP outage, and I wasn't quite sure what to expect, or whether it was a widespread issue. Good to have the ADSL service to fall back on, and nice to see helpful replies quickly from folk here (thanks all for that)  Smiley
Picnic
Grafter

I lost my FTTC for about an hour from around 11:40 this morning. I'm in North Wilts. Modem showed all greens but the router couldn't establish a link to PN. Modem/Router reboots were in effective and I just left it pinging somewhere until it re-established a connection.
Will3n

The very same problem as Andy experienced has now happened to our connection, i.e. all the lights are on but nobody's home. 3 green LED's lit on the ONT, amber light on the router. I had to switch back to broadband, as I was trying to send an email at the time.
Just like Andy I've tried powering off everything, to no avail. Interestingly the broadband connection then went down about an hour later. At that point I gave up and went to bed. Broadband was available again this morning but I didn't have time to check the FTTP connection as work beckoned.
I've just restarted the ONT and the router and the connection light on the router is still amber, so it's still down.
As this is very much still a trial, is the forum the preferred method to raise awareness of issues or should I raise a ticket?
Cheers
Irving
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi Irving,
Sorry to hear about the problem, we normally handle connection faults via tickets, however I've just run a quick line test on your fibre line and it immediately showed up that it had detected a fault and for us to report it, so I've done that for you and raised a ticket for you. The fault guys will pick this up for you shortly.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
wzhpdh

I've had problems all day today (Thursday 9th June) with my FTTP connection in Walnut Tree (Milton Keynes). Any browser I use (IE or Firefox) shows the BT Wholsale error message. Bizarrely my VPN into my Corporate network works perfectly well.
I've not seen any mention of issue on the PlusNet Service Status page and am not too sure where the Fibre Connection issues would appear anyway.
Anyone else had problems today?
Will3n

@Dave Thanks for your help Dave, most appreciated. Smiley
andypearson
Grafter

Hi Dave/Plusnet/all
yep - exactly the same for me - yesterday and today - 9th/10th June 2011 here in Monkston. As per wzhpdh, I can also use my work VPN OK, but persistently keep getting the BT Wholsale error message - very frustrating! Any news? Any problems across MK right now with FTTP?
Thanks
Andy
Quote from: wzhpdh
I've had problems all day today (Thursday 9th June) with my FTTP connection in Walnut Tree (Milton Keynes). Any browser I use (IE or Firefox) shows the BT Wholsale error message. Bizarrely my VPN into my Corporate network works perfectly well.
I've not seen any mention of issue on the PlusNet Service Status page and am not too sure where the Fibre Connection issues would appear anyway.
Anyone else had problems today?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Will3n - BT have asked if you can retry the FTTP connection and see if you're still having a problem
Andy and wzhpdh - I've seen this a few times, it seems to be easily fixed if you specify the DNS servers on your router. The DNS servers are 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10. What we think happened is that at some point your connection has dropped and was unable to reconnect. If you can't reconnect then BT will authenticate your temporarily into a walled garden where all browsing requests are redirected to that BT page. After a couple of minutes they will disconnect you and see if you can reconnect. The idea is that if there's a major outage or maintenance work 10s of thousands of routers won't be trying to connect every second. Problem is that sometimes routers/PCs pick up and cache the BT DNS server that gets handed out so even after the outage some/all browsing results in redirects to the BT page. Easiest way around it is to set our DNS servers and it then goes away.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
andypearson
Grafter

Many thanks Dave - that seems to describe what I've been getting. I'll have a go at specifying the DNS entries, as you suggest. If I don't post again in the next day or so, you can assume it has worked!
Andy
PeterPan
Grafter

Hi Dave,
I too have lost my FTTP service.  I came back from holiday on Sunday morning (12/06/11) to find it down.
I went down the fault logging route (Fault  No 43495118) but, nearly 96 hours later and after several resets, I still have no service, so have reverted temporarily to ADSL.
I don't like to moan, but the Service Desk guys have not filled me with confidence, because: 
1.  Several times (with different agents) I have been told that they do not have details of my model of router (Thomson TG789vn)
2.  I have been asked to select "Plusnet" as the Service, but that option is not available, so I have selected Eth WAN (PPPoE), in accordance with the written instructions received with the router.
No-one has mentioned the DNS issue referred to above and I do not remember being offered a chance to specify the DNS Servers during the router setup  - how can I do that?
Regards (but frustrated)
Peter