cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP 330Mb trial - experiences with trial and Technicolor tg799vn v2 router

digitalfixer
Grafter

FTTP 330Mb trial - experiences with trial and Technicolor tg799vn v2 router

Hi I have been on the 330mb Trial now for about a month and of that about 3 weeks I have been using the TG799vn Router that Dave supplied as part of the trial. 
The 330mb FTTP line is working great, had zero issues or downtime that I have noticed  ;D.  Generally the extra speed over the 100/15 connection I had before is not that noticeable but  occasionally you do notice some things come down a little faster.  The biggest problem is going to be the allowance, 120gb when you can download 1gb in a minute, even during the day is very easy to use up.  Like the 100/15 service it just works with no issues (other than ones of my own making like the wrong cables keeping the router to laptop speed down at 100mb)
As I said earlier I have also been testing the Technicolor  TG799vn router, this seems to give about the same performance as the NetGear WNR3500V2 that I was using at the start of the trial.  WiFi coverage is about the same and LAN connected download speeds show the same wide variations that I was getting with the NetGear router (anything from 50-60mb up to 240mb on Speedtest.net and similar figures from ThinkBroadband.com).  It does have a number of other options like integrated VOIP to DECT connection and a few more firewall rules, compared to the NetGear router,  but as yet I have not been able to test them due to issues with the User Interface  hanging.  Basically it seems  the TG799vn router is nowhere near as robust as the Netgear router with regards to the user interface. It has hung on many occasions, usually if you try and start something else before the previous operation has completed.  The only way to resolve this is to cycle the power, which as the router is in the loft is not very convenient.  The router still works but you can’t access it to change any settings which as I have been trying to set up some firewall rules and set restrictions on times etc. has been a big issue. It may be that this is a known issue and there is a later firmware but due to the way Technicolor sell/distribute there routers you can’t seem to find or download any updated firmware from them, it would appear that you have to get it from the ISP, or PlusNet in this case.  Because of this I have now switched back to the Netgear router which I have had none of these sorts of issues with.
So in conclusion the performance of the two routers is about the same, the Technicolor router has a better feature set, if you are patient enough to set it up, but is let down by the stability of the user interface.  If the user interface issues for the Technicolor router can be resolved then it would be a better router due to the feature set compared to the NetGear but for now I think I will continue with the NetGear router.
Both of these routers are Home or SOHO type routers and so whilst very capable are probably struggling to cope with a 330Mb line. What is probably required is the very latest router models that benefit from the fastest CPU and the latest hardware to really be able to cope with the sort of line speeds and potentially the home/SOHO network that a 330Mb line could support.  I have seen that the ZyEXL routers seem to be limited to 100mb WAN to LAN which suggests that the 330Mb line is far faster than some router manufactures had envisaged for their products, so maybe for these line speeds you need more commercial grade routers.
Gary
2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTP 330Mb trial - experiences with trial and Technicolor tg799vn v2 router

@digitalfixer
Cheers for the feedback, especially re the Technicolor router. Keep it coming if you have anything else you'd like to let us know about your experience on this particular trail.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
FttpPeter
Dabbler

Re: FTTP 330Mb trial - experiences with trial and Technicolor tg799vn v2 router

I too have the Technicolor TG799vn v2 and my speed tests don't agree with yours, Gary.
This morning I've seen repeated speeds above 300Mbps, with the best via speedtest.net of 344.93, 337.39, 333.09 and 330.60.
Using speedtester.bt.com the best results were 313.38, 313.15 and 312.79 and a single test with Thinkbroadband gave 292.3.
I did about 140 speed tests to get these results and they are much better than I got three weeks ago when the fastest I saw was 261.
These results would indicate the Technicolor can cope with 330Mbps. I've captured screen prints and links to the fastest results which I'll send to Dave Tomlinson / plusnet for his interest!
I too have the Netgear WNR3500 v2 and would have liked to see if I could get better results than previously tested it but couldn't get it to connect; I'll try again some other time.
Peter