cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTH Trial, is it available?

Adam1V
Grafter

FTTH Trial, is it available?

We're about to move into our new house, which is also a new build.
Chatting to the property developer, they just leave draw strings in the pit to allow BT engineers to pull the cables through once the customers sign up for a phone line.
On that basis, is it possible to request a FTTH trial or are the trials only available in certain areas (I.e Milton Keynes?)
Adam
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: FTTH Trial, is it available?

It was probably in Milton Keynes as they used Aluminium and not Copper which was useless for broadband
phil4
Grafter

Quote from: Adam1V
FTTH trial or are the trials only available in certain areas (I.e Milton Keynes?)

Hi, its my undestanding that FTTH/FTTP/FTTC are all only available in certain areas, and as you said MK is one of them.   Likewise I think I've read that FTTH is very much in minority, with most places that are able to get FTTx being offered FTTC.
The BT checker will take an address, and let you know what's available in your area (yes, for a new build, you might need to try a nearby older property):  http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017&s_cid=con_FURL_...
adie:green fixed quote
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi
It's currently limited to two exchanges, Bradwell Abbey in Milton Keynes and Higham's Park, and then within the exchanges it is limited to certain areas.
Cheers
Howard
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The trials are now closed to new applicants as the new packages will be available from the 19th http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87700.msg800567.html#msg800567
Adam1V
Grafter

Thanks for the replies guys.
I assume the trials have proven well as it's about to be offered to the masses (where available).
With that in mind, will the business packages also be available?
tomm
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
The trials are now closed to new applicants as the new packages will be available from the 19th http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87700.msg800567.html#msg800567

I don't think that is quite correct. I think the FTTC trial is closed. But the FTTP trial is ongoing with BT until July at least. You'll see it's a separate trial at http://trials.plus.net/.
See all of JoJo's posts today which only refer to FTTC.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

bollocks - note to self - read title properly in future  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Adam1V
Grafter

Sorry for all the questions guys...
Just reading about the OR engineer changing the faceplate...
In my new build, I have a socket in my 'network cupboard' upstairs, which isn't the main BT socket.
Is there any possibility that the modem/router can be plugged into this one?
It's right next to all my network gear and Ethernet switch.
Adam
ashgeo
Grafter

Adam
The BT modem has to be plugged into the master socket and not an extension socket. When the install is done the faceplate on the master socket is changed to one with two outlets, one for the FTTC modem and the other for you normal landline phone. I believe as part of the install process an "extension" cable can be run from the master socket to a preferred location (up to 30m).
If your builders are still on site can you not get them to run the wire from where the BT cable comes out of the ground to where you want your master socket to be?
I have had my BT master socket moved in order to have it by my network hub in the downstairs cupboard away from the hands of my crawling little one!
I hope this helps.
Regards
George
Adam1V
Grafter

George, unfortunately it's all done and dusted now, the House is all wired, finished and decorated.
As I've said below, currently, there is no cable between the pit outside and and the house, just a draw string, I'm just wondering when they pull the cable, could they pull it up to the loft and down the partition into my cupboard, I'll need to look at this.
Each room has a BT socket, would these still remain active?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Builder sockets are renowned for being bad, they are often put in by non electricians,  the wire should ideally be a twisted pair and should only have two wires connected, try lifting one face plate off and having a look
ashgeo
Grafter

Adam
That's a real shame that the house it all ready and there is no chance of laying a cable.
When I had my FTTC installation done my master socket location caused me to have to rethink things as my mobile 11 month old loves tugging on wires! In the end I decided to lay two three pair twisted BT spec cables in conduit around the outside of the house to my understair cupboard. I then got BT to move the master socket (two cables laid as one is the feed from the BT underground line to the master socket and the other is from the master sockets to my extension phone sockets around the house).  At the same time installed a home network. My understair cupboard now has the master socket, LAN sockets, power and lighting. All the FTTC gear and router now fit tidily away from little fingers and out of sight!
In your case I would suggest perhaps you do something similar prior to your line being connected?
As pierre-pierre says builder sockets are never of quality spec wiring and you can't guarantee that they are done properly.
If you would like any photos of what I've done I'll send them to you along with links to whereyou can get the correct stuff.
Good luck!
George
prichardson
Grafter

If no installation of the BT line has taken place, then there are limitations on where you master socket can be.
BT rules now states that you can have some say over the entry point of the cable into the property from the outside. Though this cannot be excessive and safety/logistical factors will be accounted for (so they may not run it to the loft).
From the ingress point on the wall, there can be a maximum of 3 meters to the installed master socket and it cannot be above a certain height off the floor, though again safety factors will be accounted for, much of which would likely have been done by selection of the ingress point. They will not run this cable around door frames.
This just the rule for the installation of the main phone line.