cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC trial a write off now?

johnboy999
Dabbler

FTTC trial a write off now?

I had given up waiting before I saw Joanne's kind offer to chase this up for me.
So I dug out the bypass number for tech support - good job as I have currently been on this call for 40 mins
And I quote
"sorry can't do anything about this as their is a rumour that all FTTC trial users are going to be put on the capped 2mb service."
[Censored]? Small explosion.
Paying extra per month, accepting the trial T&C and dropping straight onto the 2mb service I could for much less cost per month?

So I hold, and hold and hold.
Then get told (to paraphrase)
"Oh we put you on 2mb because the tests show you wont get 10mb"
Strange as I am currently exceeding the initial d/l estimate provided by plus.net
" test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated downstream line speed of 25.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.9Mbps. The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time to ensure line stability is maintained."
So basically it amounts to "oh you might only get 6mb so we put you on 2mb" WITHOUT TELLING YOU and also "if we put you on 10mb it might damage your download speed if you only get 6mb".
Tickets since the day this has gone in about profile and only now this mythical reason gets trotted out when backed into a corner. Yeah right.
Utter, utter nonsense.
Oh and now 3 working days to regrade.
10 years with plusnet and I am *this* close to just grabbing my mac and link:censored off to - well anyone. Even virgin CS can't be as bad as what I have just experienced.
adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed.
24 REPLIES 24
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: FTTC trial a write off now?

woah.. sounds like someoene has got their facts a tad muddled in CS
I was led to believe that the upload rate was going to be capped at 2Mb rather than the 10 that BT stated they would initially support.
So if I am reading this right.. someone has told you that you will be capped at 6mb on a downstream and in actual fact you would be on a fixed 2Mb profile?
Something a bit odd there me thinks...
phil4
Grafter

JohnBoy999... if I had heard the same from multiple sources, like you I'd think about moving ISP.
However I'd give the few PN staff that frequent here a little chance to sort things straight for you first.  A few comments have suggested 1) Trialists will remain on 10Mbit  upload and 2) New trailists will be provisioned this way also.
It's been said by others, and me, and I'll say again, I don't think the normal Support staff are fully informed about the trial and all its complexities.  Instead they've been properly briefed on the commercial product being launched on Monday.
That said, we may shortly hear from PN staff now that indeed one of the bosses has ruled that it's 2Mbit upload for all of us, trial or not.  I hope not, but I'm sure we'll find out soon.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the CS rep is reading from the script of the soon to be released FTTC, the people on the trial are guaranteed by Bob Pullen that they will be on 10M upload as long as they dont change product
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI johnboy999,
I can certainly confirm that trialists upload will not be capped at 2Mbps but stay as they are now.
In your case, however, having liaised with Dave who has coordinated the trial, when your line was originally assessed for the trial it was deemed that your upstream capability was not enough to warrant 10Mbps upload. As a consequence it was decided to to cap it at 2Mpbs so as not to compromise the downstream. As you have requested the upload to be uncapped then we have to go by your wishes but as you have been made aware this may reduce your download performance. Unless you specifically need more upload speed I wouldn't recommend it. I understand that you probably felt that we were depriving you of something you thought you had signed up for, but I can assure you this is not the case.
Jojo Smiley
johnboy999
Dabbler

nonsense
"you might only get 6mb so we will cap you at 2mb"
And then I have to chase round the Wrekin to get that information rather than just telling me.
PN when I first put the FTTC trial request in "Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated downstream line speed of 25.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.9Mbps. The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time to ensure line stability is maintained."
this didn't happen at all they are now admitting - they just dropped me straight on 2mb, no questions, no contact I had to stamp my feet to even get the information. Anything to save a quid eh?
And yes I do need the extra upload - that's the sole reason I want FTTC and the extra expense, time waiting for BT (who were excellent) dumping a very expensive ADSL router etc. So yes you *were* depriving me of something I was signing up for - my original ticket:
"Hi,
I have received an offer from BT for the Infinity package which is now in my area.
I could really do with faster broadband especially upload. I'm not inclined to leave plusnet because I have had many years of good service all the way from dial up and isdn - have you guys go any comparable products now or upcoming I could look at as an alternative to moving service provider?
regards
john"
what a fool I am.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

BT Infinity is capped at 2Mb upload
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

johnboy999,
It's definitely the case I'm afraid that uncapping your upstream will impact on your downstream. If we're ever unsure of such facts we will double check and I can assure that in this case we have.
this didn't happen at all they are now admitting - they just dropped me straight on 2mb, no questions, no contact I had to stamp my feet to even get the information. Anything to save a quid eh?

Anyone with an upstream of less than 6mb gets it capped at 2mb by default by us, as mentioned its to save the impact on your downstream. We've done nothing to deprive you and only wish you to get the best out of the service available to you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
johnboy999
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim

this one?
"Unlimited Broadband and Calls with BT Infinity
This packages gives you BT Infinity Option 2 and the Unlimited Anytime Calls Plan. Enjoy up to 40Mb download speeds, up to 10Mb upload speeds and unlimited usage, plus unlimited calls to UK* landlines at any time. £20.00 a month for the first 3 months, £28.00 a month thereafter, plus line rental, on an 18 month contract."
johnboy999
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
johnboy999,
It's definitely the case I'm afraid that uncapping your upstream will impact on your downstream. If we're ever unsure of such facts we will double check and I can assure that in this case we have.

Anyone with an upstream of less than 6mb gets it capped at 2mb by default by us, as mentioned its to save the impact on your downstream. We've done nothing to deprive you and only wish you to get the best out of the service available to you.

I only wish you guys had actually bothered to read my original request ticket with its focus on upload speed and also this so called 6mb cut off for the 10mb - you would have known that *immediately* when you told me I had an estimated upload of 5.9mb so its perfectly reasonable to expect you might mention that weeks before the order went live. Let alone have to spend 30-40 mins on the phone after sending in tickets and being fobbed off at first.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Johnboy999
Sorry that you weren't informed originally that your speed would be capped at 2Mb, this was an oversight. Unfortunately I can't correct what you have been told but we'll make sure that we speak to the people involved so they don't make the same mistake again.
We're working to get your upstream uncapped to 10Mb and I'm hoping that this doesn't have too much of an impact on your downstream.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
phil4
Grafter

Trying to be helpful:  I'm not saying they are telling the truth, but BT Infinity offer a number of packages, 2 of which offer Upto 10Mb upload, list here: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25633 ,the bottom two choice (£28/month and £25.60/month) both state upto 10Mb upload. 
Now the truth maybe more complex, but at an initial glance it does look like they offer something above 2Mb upload.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: johnboy999

this one?
"Unlimited Broadband and Calls with BT Infinity
This packages gives you BT Infinity Option 2 and the Unlimited Anytime Calls Plan. Enjoy up to 40Mb download speeds, up to 10Mb upload speeds and unlimited usage, plus unlimited calls to UK* landlines at any time. £20.00 a month for the first 3 months, £28.00 a month thereafter, plus line rental, on an 18 month contract."
Whoops  Embarrassed I didn't know about that one
I didn't realise that BT Infinity costs the same as the regular broadband packages. http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25633
That doesn't make much sense as the wholesale costs are totally different
johnboy999
Dabbler

price wise BT operate in a nice little world of their own, and locking into 18month contracts, pulling phone line rentals back into the fold etc may be drivers for them.
Just got off the phone - 10mbs is still an offering from them, sales girl put me through to tech who expressed some bemusement about the 6mb cut off for 10mb upload service, seems this is a "service" they do not offer their customers who request/expect the 10mbs service.
They also offer a £25 Amazon voucher, maybe I should put it towards some spa products and a copy of the "little book of calm" after to days joyful encounter with PN CS
johnboy999
Dabbler

Well so much for my regrade to 10MB, promised for monday, still not actioned.