cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC router PPPoE compatible Netgear WNR1000 N150Mbps wireless router.

bobafett

FTTC router PPPoE compatible Netgear WNR1000 N150Mbps wireless router.

Hi Folks
I understand that the router which PN provides for FTTC is a  PPPoE compatible Netgear WNR1000 N150Mbps wireless router.
After doing some research on this router I have decided it's not good enough for my needs as I want good VOIP, Gaming and HD video streaming. Also, eventhough my house is 10yrs old, I have terrible WIFI signal as it seems to drop constantly for no reason (WIFI and not broadband).  Is there a better router that I can get or do those people on FTCC use the WNR1000 without problems? I understand that the N600 type of router may be better for my needs?
Thanks
Boba
3 REPLIES 3
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Re: FTTC router PPPoE compatible Netgear WNR1000 N150Mbps wireless router.

Hi bobafett,
I use the Netgear WRN 1000 v 3 as supplied for my FTTC connection.
My house is at leat 200 years old & has a couple of 2' thick walls to get through from where it is located to where the laptop is used.
The laptop is quite old, having only a 54 Mbps 'g' adaptor, but it does consistently receive approximately 50% of whatever speed is available at my ethernet connected desktop PC.
e.g 25 Mb at the desktop & 12.5 Mb to 13 Mb at the laptop.
It also maintains a reliable wireless connection around 30m or so away, whenever I have taken it into the garden (on those very, very rare sunny summer days).
I am surprised that that your wireless connection drops constantly in a 10 year old house when considering the likely type of construction (either 4" thick block, or 3" or 4" studded walls.
If plasterboard studding, is it perhaps foil backed, thus potentially partially blocking whatever wireless signal any router could provide?
Is it possible that "something else" (maybe even your current router - which one are you using) is causing the drops?

Paul
bobafett

Hi Paul
Thanks for your reply... It may well be that the plaster boards are foil lined and could be causing problems. I've used countless routers in the past and mostly all of them drop wireless. My current router is a BT HomeHub2 and i've set it to channel 13 now to avoid any interference, so far it seems stable for wireless (fingers crossed).
Going back to my original post, i'm wondering if any PPPoE router will work as I want something which has dual band (to avoid interference) and the muscle to cope with fast streaming... mostly lovefilm streaming...
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You can use any WAN router with PPPoE for FTTC.