cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC my experience (so far)

fa55
Community Veteran

FTTC my experience (so far)

Hmm, as a trail, I expect some issues, which is fine, but this isn't ready for full rollout yet in my view.
1. The manual ticket process to get the order going took a while.
2. They said they'd send the router pretty much straight away (it never turned up).
3. I re-raised this and they said they'd send one out on Friday (well probably in the post on Sat, but it got stuck in the system)
4. Then the engineer didn't turn up yesterday
5. Engineer came today and installed some messy cabling
6. Phoned Plusnet, they said they'd send a router out today.
7. Plusnet gave me an 0808 number for dialup which doesnt work.
8. Phoned Plusnet again and waited 30 mins in a queue, the guy was pretty helpful and gave me some tips on setting up a PPPoE connection, although if I wasn't techy I'd have had no idea what to do!
9. Was told that 0808 doesn't work on my account and gave me the 0845 number, but luckily the PPPoE works.
10. Now connected, 1.5mb down, 6.5mb up which is odd, but ticket is in to have the profile updated.
Things Plusnet could do -
Make sure this profile update business is sorted automatically, why do they have these profiles in the first place, why not just let people connect at best possible speed available?
Provide everyone with 0808 dialup as standard incase things go wrong.
Educate the support people so they understand the product, I know this takes time, but this should be done before the product is fully launched.
Make sure routers arrive before hand.
In hindsight I wish I'd got a whole new BT line installed and then had the service activated on that under a new username and then dropped the current line and cancelled the ADSL service.
2 REPLIES 2
fa55
Community Veteran

Re: FTTC my experience (so far)

Profile update was fast, thanks to Stephen at Plusnet, 25mb down and 6.5mb up is what I'm now getting. Should do nicely until FTTP turns up Smiley
phil4
Grafter

Re: FTTC my experience (so far)

In the same vane here's a summary if my experiences:
1) phoned to be asked to be added to trial, told no longer available.
2) Raised ticket to go on trial (using the trial ticket system which didnt originally work hence the call.  Reply said "no trial"
3) after me just requesting again, told to raise ticket again, which is odd as this was a reply to ticket raised the right way.
All the above can now be safely ignored as it really relates to getting on a trial not the commercial product.  With one exception:
1) your staff are the voice of the company, it makes sense that they know what they talk about, and are right when they answer questions,,, this wasn't the case above.
So, onto the rest: 
4) router came nice and early, no instructions with it, but link emailed instead.
5) BT engineer showed on day, wall mounted modem, and fitted the huge faceplate.  Tested and left.
6) 2 down, 6 up..... Odd.  Requested profile change.
7) profile changed twice, and speed as should be.
Cool connection has been up, and speeds fine since... Now just have to keep a careful eye on usage.
So, all except 6/7 perfect.  While I appreciate the staff sorting it quickly, i hope this isnt the norm on the commercial product.
I've yet to discover how good the support of the product is, nor it's longer term reliability, but in my mid the provisiong was pretty good.