Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC just installed

PrettyFunkedUp
Dabbler

FTTC just installed

HI finally I'm up and running on FTTC.
Plusnet said I would get 32Mb (+/- 1Mb)
BT engineer said I... "should get the full 40Mb" when he tested it on the install day.
Highest Ive seen is 27Mb on any speed test, which dropped to 19Mb in the usual busy time of day (worst drop Ive ever seen from an ISP!).
The BS in the paper work says it should get better over the 1st 10 days.
Has anyone ever experienced a speed increase in the 1st 10 days ever?
(i cant help but feel someone has left the handbrake on)
25 REPLIES 25
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTC just installed

BT engineer said I... "should get the full 40Mb"

Unfortunately that's not true, no one gets the full 40mb as that is the very maximum speed that the line service could be capable of. I don't mean to be a party pooper but its best to be realistic as there are overheads which will degrade the speed slightly. On the upside though there's a good chance you'll see some improvement after the first 10 days.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PrettyFunkedUp
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
BT engineer said I... "should get the full 40Mb"

Unfortunately that's not true, no one gets the full 40mb
Adam

Well A friend of mine not too far away get 45.2Mb on a speedtest on a 40Mb line! so sorry... you're wrong.
scootie
Grafter

taken from thinkbroadband forum
The highest IP Profile is 38717, which you have.
If a speed test or anything shows much over 38000kbps, (I think the highest valid one I have seen on these forums was something like 38395kbps), then whatever you are using to test is getting it wrong.
Ookla-based testers can do that, and if they are run on a system with Kaspersky or Avira can record a few hundred-thousand kbps.
It's all to do with buffering and sample selection.

whats your ip profile http://speedtester.bt.com/ also check the PN profile in member center under high speed broadband if thats where it still is
am on virgin media 30mb and they increase the sync above 30mb to insure you get the 30mb, infact 31.5 ish on tests, i can confirm i get the odd high than sync speed result on speedtest.net
the DLM will learn your line within the 10 day period normally faster than 10 days but BTw will not let you raise a fault intill the period is over and the minumum sync speed theshold is set for your line
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: PrettyFunkedUp
Well A friend of mine not too far away get 45.2Mb on a speedtest on a 40Mb line! so sorry... you're wrong.

So you believe that a line can go faster than the sync speed!
PrettyFunkedUp
Dabbler

my latest test http://www.speedtest.net/result/1383930640.png
awesome ping! lol
no I dont believe that a line can go faster than sync speed, but he does get that result time after time and we cant see his sync speed anyway.
If the highest speed is really 38717Kb than are they really allowed to sell it as a 40Mb service when, according to that, it can only be 37.8Mb at the very best?
so...
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: PrettyFunkedUp
so...

Not me for starters!
I was consistently achieving around 32 Mbps download speeds for the first couple of weeks (excellent when considering the distance from my home to the cabinet), until the sun came out.
The BT modem then overheated & could not maintain a connection.
I "fixed" it  after a few hours by pointing a desk fan directly at it.
However, the constant reconnection attempts appear to have automatically switched interleaving on to "Low" for downloads.
I am now only achieving a download speed of around 27 Mbps i.e. a 5 Mbps drop!
Now the line is stable again, Plusnet Support claim there is no fault that they can report to BT.
However, they have also suggested that I could turn the fan off the next time the weather warms up again, to try to make the BT modem fail again.
They could then arrange a BT engineer's visit that would probably result in the provision of a new modem, but due to the known overheating issues, that would also probably fail.
What???????Huh
I wonder how long it will take BT to concede that the equipment they provide is just not up to the job?
I would imagine this will be quite a wait, especially as equipment that could actually cope with our typically tropical British weather would cost a few quid more!
Paul.
PrettyFunkedUp
Dabbler

The speed increase in the first 10days appears to be a total myth, it seems to just be a way to get you to hang on till the cooling off period is over and your stuck and then theyve got you over a barrel, open vaseline tub in hand.
"Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 28527 K"
this is way lower than what the engineer said i would get.
Is it worth restarting the modem or will it just make it worse?
Also I read somewhere the 'cooling off' period has been increased to 28days for broadband contracts... Is this true?
itsme
Grafter

The 10 day period should be explained more clearly as it's never to find the highest speed but to find the lowest highest speed for a stable connection. Typically stable sync speeds in the day are higher than at night so what the BT's system is looking for is the highest stable speed at night as this value is used to set the Fault Threshold level. This then allow BT to reject speed faults if greater than the Fault Threshold Level 
PrettyFunkedUp
Dabbler

Yep. they start off as fast as possible and then slow down if errors occur.
Is it worth restarting the modem trying to achieve a higher sync speed? (used to work a treat on adsl2+)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI PrettyFunkedUp,
it's not worth rebooting the router. Fibre doesn't work like ADSL in that way. If your line is stable it will rise. It takes longer that DLM, normally about 10 days but it's definitley better to leave it be.
Jojo Smiley
PrettyFunkedUp
Dabbler

ok  Sad
I'm 200m from green box and less than a mile from my exchange and 27.6M is the highest ive had on speedtests.
pretty much feels like adsl2
ping IS better though i must admit
mikeyriot
Grafter

;DHaha, I'm sorry but your friend is deluded :D! Theres no doubt the speed checker reports this but its wrong! This sort of result appears all the time and is nothing more than bottlenecks caused by a a slow cpu b anit-virus software c a dodgey wi-fi connection. Also they're just estimates, they cant actually tell you a real speed. If he's (or she) is on a 40mb line, the maximum they could hope to achieve is 37 maybe 38mb due to overheads!
I accept the result in my sig is wrong, as with AV off, wi-fi at 100% sig, I now never achieve over 38mb, and with AV on.......I can get well over 100mb!
PrettyFunkedUp
Dabbler

Quote from: mikeyriot
is nothing more than bottlenecks caused by a a slow cpu b anit-virus software c a dodgey wi-fi connection.

OK. this sounds like a challange, will go and try the tests at his in various ways and see what results pop up.
matt_2k34
Grafter

are they really allowed to sell it as a 40Mb service when

Unfortunately so, until the ASA decide that selling an "up to" service is wrong. Unfortunately getting over 40mbit over FTTC is not possible. the highest sync you should see is 39,999 AFAIK. (was when my line was put in) Because of overheads, the throughput is lower (max of about 37meg) but the connection itself is still 40mbit - because overheads are required for the tech to work - its a 40 meg connection, just 37 meg throughput.

Unfortunately the above is correct - AV /firewalls / bad NIC drivers are the cause for 'strange' speedtest readings. I've seen someone preaching over on the BT forums that they were getting 80mbit and it had dropped to 30... when in fact they'd just changed AV package. (not possible)
Regards