cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC installed today - speed cap removed - but expected more ....

YBH
Dabbler

FTTC installed today - speed cap removed - but expected more ....

Hi,
well i got FTTC installed today and after a few problems with connecting through the Netbook (still present - possibly Win7), I managed to get speeds around 19-20Mb down and 8 up - this after I rang plusnet to change my profile (now says 21Mb - which I presume is correct?)
Problem is that the engineer did his tests and suggested I should be getting higher.
Am i doing something wrong? - or is further config required at Plus.net?
I cant really complain as I'm used to 3Mb speeds...but I kinda expected about 30Mb.
any thoughts?
Thanks Y B H
9 REPLIES 9
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: FTTC installed today - speed cap removed - but expected more ....

I rang plusnet to change my profile (now says 21Mb - which I presume is correct?)

That's the issue, we need to set it to 20Mb to allow the fibre speeds, I know that seems a little odd but until we launch the correct profiles for fibre here that's what it needs to be. I've updated it on our side so you should see better speeds shortly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
YBH
Dabbler

Chris
Thank you. I must say the support Plusnet provide is abolutely top drawer. It really is second to none IMHO. Thanks. YBH
YBH
Dabbler

Bingo!
thanks again.
ybh
artificer
Grafter

coo!  when's that coming my way?  want, want.
YBH
Dabbler

Hi folks,
hopefully someone can give me some advice on my new router (Netgear WNR1000v3). All my network devices are up and running with the new fibre service (XP machine, wifi printer, Vista machine and 2 smartphones).....except my Win 7 Netbook which from the start has been troublesome - and I have spent a lot of yesterday trying to suss out what the problem is (i'm not techy to any great degree). I have follwed all the setup instructions supplied.
The problem is that I continually fail to connect to the internet via wifi even though Win 7 suggests I'm connected to the internet. The only way to temporarily cure it is to, disconnect from the router then connect again. Then I can surf ok - for a while then it drops again. I get a number of warning and or erros in the eventlog (Win7) none of it conclusive but pointing to IP6 address lease? Al other devices are absolutely fine.
I previously had the Thompson Router/Modem supplied by plusnet which worked fine with all devices - so the only new piece of kit is the Netgear router.
Stuff I have tried to date:
1. Upgrade the firmware on the router.
2. Reboot all components including the BT modem.
3. Delete and reinstall the wifi connection to the router from win 7.
4. Connect with Ethernet cable into one of the ports - Win7 works fine through this method.
5. Make some adjustments to settings on both the router and the Realtec NIC (wifi card in the Netbook) - then changed em back. - based on various suggesteions from the web on compatibility problems (there are a lot but no 'themes').
6. Tried the on/off button for wifi on the router.
So I'm now at a loss as what to do.....any thoughts would be appreciated. Faulty router?
Thanks ybh
youngsyp
Grafter

I'd suggest as all other devices can connect perfectly that you can rule out a faulty router. It sounds more like a DHCP issue...
One thing to try is changing your netbook's WLAN card settings.
Under the cards properties (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections), uncheck every box except the IPv4 box and see how you get on.
Have you scoured the web for known issues with the WNR1000 and Win 7 PC's?
Paul
WWWombat
Grafter

What does the command-line "ipconfig /all" command show for tthe two situations: When you have just connected, and all is working fine; and then later when things have gone wrong?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
YBH
Dabbler

Both - thanks for the advice/questions - between tuesday night and wednesday morning, the broadband fairy sprinkled her dust on the Netbook and I havent had any dropouts for 2 days now. Whether it was a reboot of the netbook or something else - im not sure. But its working fine now. I'll monitor for now and advise if i experience this again.
Thanks......ybh
The_10th
Grafter

Have you turned off IPv6 under properties of LAN setup?