cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC installation with "unregularised" home wiring

mikehale77

FTTC installation with "unregularised" home wiring

I am due to have FTTC installed next week but my home wiring is a potential problem. It was all installed pre-1980 by BT.
The drop line comes in overhead to a gable end and then into the loft space. The black cable goes into a small blue GPO junction box . Then a whitish cable goes to a larger junction box where one line goes down to a LJU box with bell capacitor etc fitted. Another line goes off to another 2 LJU boxes in series.
I take it that the LJU with capacitor is the "master socket", and the other sockets are in BTs realm.
The master socket is in a location with no power points available and no sensible route for a data extension cable to where my computer is located.
I take it that the fibre installation requires an NTE5 master socket.
What I want is to have this in the room where my computer is with the drop cable rerouted outside the house and coming in through the exterior wall.
An alternative solution would be to lose the present master socket and reroute the existing spur cable to the GPO junction box, but this would entail using "existing" cabling which I believe is contrary to BT practice.
Any helpful comments?

Mike
3 REPLIES 3
prichardson
Grafter

Re: FTTC installation with "unregularised" home wiring

Hi Mike,
Indeed, as this is a LJU termination this will need conversion to a NTE setup prior to installation. NTE is a pre-requisite of FTTC.
However the records at present show your line termination is marked as NTE. As such, the appointment may need to proceed and fail before we can work to resolve this.
fa55
Community Veteran

I don't have an NTE5, instead we've got a weird junction thing in the wall with a blanking plate connected to a smaller old style 80s pre nte5 master socket, he used some wiring to an extension to put an NTE5 box in, but it's essentially acting as a slave box, so it's all pretty odd but works.
It was like this -
junction - old master socket - extensions (some extensions also come direct from the junction and bypass the master socket)
Now like this -
junction - old master socket - 2 seperate cables from old master socket to a new nte5 box (one being original phone wire, the other being CAT5 or 6).
No wonder we only got 1.5mb.
Trevor
Grafter

Quote from: P
. . However the records at present show your line termination is marked as NTE.

Phil, I had no idea you had such records. As we too have 'historically interesting' house wiring, I would be interested to know what the records show for us. Our extensions are basically star wired from the point of entry and I am sure that we could get a good speed increase if a modern master socket and filtered faceplate were fitted, isolating the broadband from all the old wiring.
Trevor