Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - approaching 4 months use

AshleyHinton
Grafter

FTTC - approaching 4 months use

Dear all
I just thought I'd report my experiences after nearly 4 months of FTTC usage.
Generally the connection appears more reliable, there are less connection drops than the 21CN ADSL2+ connection we had previously. Although the  ADSL2+ it was reliable, on FTTC its even better. The Buffalo router we are using is pretty good, and the Huawei HG612 PPPoE kit provided by Openreach just seems to sit there are require no attention at all.
I think the whole system (Plus/BT provided & own router) has only been restarted twice during the entire trial, and one of those was because of a configuration change after my time capsule (airport extreme) failed.
We are very aware of usage limits though - and will review the best tariff and options once the trail ends shortly. At the moment we are on an old Premier Option 1 product, and decided to stay there and then review costs & options once FTTC products are officially announced.
Download speeds have been constantly good (except the one time our limit was reached) - doing stuff like downloading an online purchased game on the XBox or a system update on one of the Mac's is totally painless. Working from home & using VPN again is a much better experience than ADSL from the telephone exchange.
For example the BBC have released a new "Dr Who Adventures" game, at just a shade under 500MB. It took less than 3 minutes to download earlier this evening, Safari (Mac web browser) was reporting 4.2mb/sec using the desktop Mac which is connected via ethernet.
Going FTTC was definitely worth it for us. Even though our ADSL2+ synced at around 13meg we couldn't go back now Smiley
Regards,
Ashley