Did you mean: 

FTTC and FTTP Slow Throughput Speeds

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

FTTC and FTTP Slow Throughput Speeds

Hi guys,
Quick update on the throughput speeds some people are seeing.
On FTTC BT have identified that some areas of the country are seeing slower than expected speeds, in some cases these speeds are considerably lower than the BT SLA (seeing some as low as 2Mbps). Additionally some people are seeing a large increase in latency at the same time.
BT are currently addressing the issues seen by people and I'm expecting the issues to be resolved by next Friday (19th November), some areas may be done sooner than this.
Once I hear more I'll post back.
On FTTP BT are currently reviewing what's happening, there are about 200 people on the trial in Milton Keynes plus some test lines and I've fed back what people are saying however they want to learn from the data they are seeing so don't want to just up the capacity willy nilly they're trying to understand what the demand is like, what people are using and what capacity they need for future exchanges. Again I'll post back when I know more.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
18 REPLIES 18
djab
Dabbler

Re: FTTC and FTTP Slow Throughput Speeds

Dave - this must be why I am seeing these speeds
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90633.0.html
f513toy
Grafter

After the first week of constantly checking my speed, I stopped as the speed was always all over the map - sometimes70Mb/s sometimes 15Mb/s but it didn't really matter as these were all better than the 2Mb/s I used to get on ADSL.
However, I am beginning to think a BT engineer came by one night this week and disconnected my FTTP, if it wasn't for the netgear router still flashing away you could have convinced me! My speeds are back to around what I was on ADSL i.e. 3Mb/s max and 82ms Ping. Has been the same for a couple of evenings now - usually between 6 and 10 when the family wants to use the internet the most:'( 
I have turned of the router and turned on again to see if that helps, done the same with the BT ONT.
Any clues?
f513toy
Grafter

Well, checked my speed this morning (5:30am) and I am back up to somewhere between 20 and 45 Mb/s - which is better but not what I would expect unless I am going to be cruel and wake up the kids, wife (and dog?) during the night to take advantage of the increased speed.
dmle1
Dabbler

Dave
Is the drop in speed happening across all postcodes as I've been on FTTP for six days now and yet to see any noteworthy decrease.
The lowest I've seen is 84Mb down but that was at 20:00 so not hugely surprising. Any other tests I've done have all come back at 94Mb.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

BT have fixed most of the FTTC areas, could anyone on FTTC please let me know if you're still seeing slow speeds please?
For FTTP there are 2 different backhaul links out of the exchange at Bradwell Abbey, some customers are on one, some the other. I wonder if one of them is seeing worse performance than the other so that would explain why some are seeing better than others.
f513toy - I've made a change to your line BT side to give it a higher priority on the BT network. That should take effect tomorrow morning. If you can let me know if that makes any difference that would be appreciated then I can feed that back to BT.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The following areas are currently affected on FTTC with slow speeds particularly at peak times:
CANONBURY
WATFORD
ST ALBANS
HEMEL HEMPSTEAD
MUSWELL HILL
TOTTENHAM
GREENWICH
BT are working hard and as quick as they can to resolve the problems and estimate they should be done in around 3 weeks.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
f513toy
Grafter

Dave, pleased to say that things are "whizzing" along again, whatever tweaks you made seem to have done the trick. Big test will be prime time Saturday and Sunday I guess.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Excellent! How did the weekend go?
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
BossSkill

Currently getting 0.2Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up in SE9, is this part of the slow throughputs? It's pretty much unusable, seeing latencies of 2K ms, have done multiple reboots. Was fine the previous night.
BossSkill

Ok so 10.50pm, 0.2 down and up, but latency is less than a 100 to some speedtest servers. Do I need to raise a ticket to get this looked at?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

There are some more areas that seem to be affected, I'll try and find out whether your area is one of them but in the meantime I'd suggest running the BT Speedtest www.speedtester.bt.com when it's slow and hopefully it will prompt you to run a 2nd test, run that and if both tests are slow then raise a ticket and we'll have a look separately to see if there could be another problem.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
BossSkill

The poor speeds continued tonight. I ran the speedtester.bt.com link at multiple times and it's pushed me through to the final test each time, but have been unable to successfully run that final test. Thanks Dave, have raised a ticket.
BossSkill

Using the exchange service checker http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ I'm not being show any faults at the exchange or with the VPs. Exchange is LSELT. Is just constantly half a meg down at most and near full upload available, and just degrades more at peak times to unusable levels.
BossSkill

I've had to tether my mobile now it's the weekend to stop me from wanting to dig out the dial-up modem  Wink