Did you mean: 

FTTC ZyXEL NBG-417N Router for testing

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

FTTC ZyXEL NBG-417N Router for testing

Hi all,
I have a ZyXEL NBG-417N router for testing for someone on FTTC. First come first served. It has a euro plug rather than a UK plug so will need an adapter (we should be able to get one if you don't have one).
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
11 REPLIES 11
Danplusnet
Grafter

Re: FTTC ZyXEL NBG-417N Router for testing

Hi Dave
Me please if possible
Thanks
Dan
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Ta, as soon as I get the euro power adapter I'll send it on.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Dan do you have a euro adapter? If so I can send this on to your tomorrow.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Danplusnet
Grafter

Hi Dave
I'll find one so please post unit.
Many thanks
Danplusnet
Grafter

Hi Dave
Router received and given a thorough testing over the weekend. In terms of feedback I would say that it's straight forward and easy to set up. Whilst perhaps limited in functionality it's configuration pages are simple to follow and make changes. Wireless range seemed okay, albeit I don't have a large house anyway. Maximum transfer speed per the router was 72meg wireless and 100meg hard wired.
A few times the GUI came to a complete standstill whilst toying with the various settings requiring a modem reboot. The main annoyance here is the lack of a connect / disconnect session option (or if it is there i couldn't find it) so when you restart the router it doesn't connect back on to the internet even though the WAN says it is up. It requires you to reboot the modem aswell.
This, for example, doesn't occur on the Netgear routers which will always reconnect at boot up even if the previous session wasn't disconnected first.

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the feedback Danplusnet, very strange that it won't auto reconnect after a power cycle.
grahamt
Rising Star

I see that the NBG417N is being advertised on eBuyer for under £30. There's also the NBG419N which has a wireless connection that's twice as fast (in theory) selling for £42 and then there's the all-singing, all-dancing NBG460N with gigabit ethernet ports and built-in IPSec. That sells for £78 and might go well with FTTP.
The box ZyXEL should have sent you to test is the P-870N-51b, which has both wireless-N and a VDSL2 modem. But I guess BT are insisting on their own modem for the current trial. Also, I've not seen that model on sale here yet.
Graham
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Dan,
Any more feedback on the ZyXEL?
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Danplusnet
Grafter

Hi Dave
I haven't been using much wireless of late choosing to rather hard wire the PS3. Would you like me to run some specific tests? I bought my own WNR2000 and much prefer it. Not had any issues with that one at all.
The contention issue on my line has reared its head again. Usual story come 8pm and my ping goes from 8m/s to 111m/s and download falls to sub 6meg.
Could you nudge ticket 36245505 along? The BT Speedtester requests that the line must be reported back to BT for further investigation. Thanks
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Nothing specific I don't think ZyXEL were asking if there'd been any more feedback. I'll have a look a ticket, see if there's anything I can do.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sent to BT to have a look, let's see what they say.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology