cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Working, Phone Not Working

AshleyHinton
Grafter

FTTC Working, Phone Not Working

We had our superfast FTTC install done today, and in fact the engineer called to say he would be early.
He only had his training a month ago, and started on new installs this week. My wife reports however that he was friendly and attentive, although he had to "phone a friend" to find out why we didn't have a "BT Infinity hub" as it seems he wasn't expecting installs for other providers yet.
FTTC working absolutely fine, speedier than ADSL2+ - not run any tests yet to see just how quick the connection is but it is quick  Smiley
However about 30 mins after the engineer left, the telephone line went dead. VDSL is still working.
I *think* he went back to the exchange, disconnected the ADSL filter completely, and forgot to re-connect our telephone side (oops!) - we've effectively got a "wires only" broadband service.
I've reported the fault to BT, who's automated system confirmed there is one between the exchange & the house - hopefully they'll go and plug the line back in over the next day or two.
Regards,
Ashley
7 REPLIES 7
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC Working, Phone Not Working

Hi Ashley,
I've heard the same stories about not having the BT Hub, most of the installs that Openreach are doing are for BT Retail and they do a managed install where the engineer plugs in and sets up the Hub. So in a lot of cases when they are doing our installs it's the first one they've done that isn't a BT Hub.
Hopefully they can sort out your voice fine pretty quick, if they've found a fault already they should be able to, might just need to book another appointment with you. Give us a shout if we can do anything to help.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
AshleyHinton
Grafter

Hi Dave
Thanks for the reply & help offer.
Not heard a peep from BT yet but its still within their 3 days to respond window, although I will call them in a bit just to chase it - the circumstances are not the same as your average fault. They could learn a lot from PN about fault tracking and customer service!
The FTTC is still working well Smiley I notice my PN profile is still at 9000, but the overall speed for things like email & browsing feels a lot quicker.
Will the profile change automatically in a few days?
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Estimated line speed: Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed: 9000
Thanks again,
Ashley
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Whoops, looks like we received a Delta report in between us placing your FTTC order (when we upgrade your profile) and when your FTTC went active. I'll push you back to 20,000kbps which is uncapped. Please let us know if you see a difference!
AshleyHinton
Grafter

Hi Ben
Thanks very much for changing that - the speed is now much much faster.
BBC iPlayer speed test at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics gives the following results:
Download: 35626 kbps
Stream speed 1: 10603
Stream speed 2: 18297
Stream speed 3: 20612
PN's own speed tester shows:
Download: 36871
Upload: 8217
Downloading a file, in this case the latest Dr Who adventure game from the BBC site sits steady at 4.3MB/Sec according to Safari on Mac OS-X, connected via ethernet to my airport extreme time capsule which is handling the PPPoE and NAT side of things.
Regards,
Ashley
AshleyHinton
Grafter

Wireless N from the Airport Extreme time capsule, to a MacBook, as follows, with a Sonos streaming radio running I think a 192kbps stream:
BBC iPlayer speed test:
Download: 19527
Streaming speed 1: 10029
Streaming speed 2: 15980
Streaming speed 3: 17634
PN Down: 24869
PN Up: 8200
And without the Sonos streaming:
BBC iPlayer speed test:
Download: 15747
Streaming speed 1: 10292
Streaming speed 2: 9643
Streaming speed 3: 10001
PN Down: 27708
PN Up: 8200
It more depends on conditions at the time, as 192kbps doesn't make all that much difference.
What does is being on wireless, even N, as those 100mbit+ wireless N figures are of course ideal numbers.
The Dr Who game download ran at 2.5k/sec.
Hope these figures help!
Regards,
Ashley
AshleyHinton
Grafter

Just to say that Openreach have fixed the phone line fault Smiley
Apparently it was down to a loose screw terminal in the old analogue street cab.
Regards,
Ashley
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear it Smiley