Did you mean: 

FTTC Thomson TG585vn router for testing

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

FTTC Thomson TG585vn router for testing

Hi,
Thomson have sent us a couple of TG585vn routers to test out on FTTC. I'm looking for 2 volunteers that can give them a go please (first come first served). Only limit is that I want to send them to people that are currently using the 585v7 and have wireless N on their PC so that we can test out the wireless N capability of the router.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
52 REPLIES 52
the_norris
Grafter

Re: FTTC Thomson TG585vn router for testing

Hi
I'm happy to try one for you.
Laptop has wireless N.
Phil
bluewhale
Rising Star

me too thats if you can get bt to allow me onto to fttc...:-(
hulls
Grafter

Drat - missed it!  Embarrassed (unless bluewhale isn't actually on FTTC yet  ???)
JamesMichell
Dabbler

If you really meant two then I guess I've missed it. But keen to try one to see if it stops the continual dropouts I get which you and BT have been working on since February.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

bluewhale - as per my other post still trying to get you on the trial, waiting for some feedback from BT. We have had one of the that was having the same problem fixed (that order is due today) so we've had some progress on the fault. As such I'll send the routers out to the_norris and hulls. Thanks guys appreciated. Routers should be with you in the next couple of days.
James - my gut feel from looking at the ticket is that the line just can't support the speed it's trying to do hence why it drops out and the speed reduces because DLM thinks it can't handle that speed. I'll have a word with the faults guys but I have a feeling that unless we leave at a lower speed it's just going to carry on like it is.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
the_norris
Grafter

Hi Dave
Thanks - I take it the new router will come with instructions? Not that I normally need them - but would be a idea to test instructions that could be used when sent out to user then product goes live.
Phil
hulls
Grafter

Instructions would be good (although like the_norris, and being male, instructions are usually a last resort  Roll_eyes )
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm just waiting for the config file so it will work with FTTC and I'll type up a basic setup for you.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've got the config but I'm too late for the post today so I'll set them up and send them out on Tuesday.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Routers sent, please note these the firmware has a background that says "premium demo" and the box says beta sample as these are sample routers.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
the_norris
Grafter

Hi Dave
Thanks - will report when they arrive.
Will not have time to get them setup/connected until the weekend.
Phil
hulls
Grafter

OK
The n router arrived today.  I plugged it in, and followed the instructions and it seemed fine (for a minute or 2).  Then it stopped working.
After a couple of restarts, it connected again, for a few seconds.  I tried using a cable, but that was no different.
After a little bit of stop start, I've reconnected the 585v7 (which didn't want to play ball to start with - maybe because the line was detecting router changes - I don't know)  I'm obviously on now.  I'll try the n router again later, when the capacitors have had a chance to discharge, and I can (hopefully) start again.
By the way, what are the 2 buttons for on the side (I don't recognise the symbols)

John
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

One of the buttons is the WPS button, can't remember what the other is, might be to switch wireless off. Did you try rebooting the BT modem before switching routers? I'd suggest switching off both the Thomson and BT modem when switching over as we've seen few times that the BT modem doesn't end the PPPoE session when you switch devices properly.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
hulls
Grafter

Hi Dave
Yes, I turned everything off, then turned on the modem, and waited for the dsl light to go steady.  Then I turned on the router.  The 585v7 is working fine now, but I tried the n again last evening, and I can't even get into the router interace via the browser (either wifi or via cable).  the power light is steady, but the wifi, broadband and lan lights seem random.
WPS?
John