Danplusnet
Grafter

Re: FTTC Thomson - Setting password

Thanks Dave
Will give it a try tonight
hulls
Grafter

I always do things like this with a slight feeling of trepidation (or is it gut wrenching terror :-\)
Here goes ...
hulls
Grafter

All went as expected, and here I am.  The password now seems to be working as expected, and I managed to re-connect (even though I'm not sure where I put that user guide ...)
Another good job, well done Dave.
John
hulls
Grafter

However this little beastie turned up in my system tray, that I don't remember seeing before.
Is that connected?
JEB
Grafter

After reading the CLI manual I managed to get passwords to work another way.  I didn't want to restore factory defaults as I would then have to reconfig everything.
Basically:
1) Through the web interface I created a new user called "admin" with root privileges, set a password and then marked it as the default user;
2) Telnet to the router with telnet 192.168.0.1 [change the IP as appropriate]
3) Login with the user and password just created
4) Type: user delete name=""
5) Type: exit
Now the web interface asks me for a password.
One thing I did note in the new isp.def file is which I didn't like is:
add name=tech password=$_PROD_SERIAL_NBR role=TechnicalSupport defremadmin=enabled
config name=tech password=$__SEC_MODEM_ACCESS_CODE
Now you probably can't remotely connect to the router unless remote assistance is activated.  However if you are going to use the isp.def file I would personally delete the above first, but I am paranoid!

James
[Edit: Hmm with a password set every time I open Firefox I get a "LOGIN User tried to login on [HTTP] (from 192.168.0.2)" in the router log.  This doesn't happen with IE.]
zone8
Grafter

Wow this scared the life out of me when I tried it, Followed your instructions Dave to find I got to the point of it asking me for my username and password. I put the information in that you said I should to find I could not connect to the router at all.
After trying every number on the router I gave up and had to call through to the support team. At this point I decided to even switch the router off and back on. Still not able to access the router using the "CP" number. Following talking to support team was put through to someone from Sheffield which was very helpful. I then pushed a pin into the back of the router to do a full reset. Then when I typed in the S/N (CP number) from the back I finally got logged in... phee
Not sure why it would not work till I pushed a pin into the back though.
Glad it’s now working lol pheeee
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Strange, I've not seen that before but we'll keep a look out in case it happens again.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology