cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Thomson - Setting password

Danplusnet
Grafter

FTTC Thomson - Setting password

Just gone live on FTTC this morning - BT provided a first class service on the installation.
I tried following the Plusnet instructions for the FTTC router which recommend changing the password but once completed it takes no effect. The instructions state it will ask for a Username but this never happens. I can still access the router without entering any passwords and although no username it just says ROOT in the user management privileges.
Any idea how else to achieve this? I could play around with it but don't want to bugger it up after I have just got it.
21 REPLIES 21
JEB
Grafter

Re: FTTC Thomson - Setting password

I have the exact same issue and unfortunately I have never managed to get passwords to work.
Sorry, but at least it isn't just you!

James
Danplusnet
Grafter

Thanks for the reply JEB
@ Plusnet - A couple of us at least are having the same issue with the set up instructions. The problem with the instructions is the part where it states that  "a pop up box will appear" asking you to define a username. This doesn't happen therefore changing passwords doesn't work.
I imagine we need to set up a new user as Administrator grant it full rights then delete the default Root privileges but hopefully you can tell us the right procedure.It's a trial so may as well iron out the wrinkles now
JEB
Grafter

The issue for me seems to be that there is a default user with no user name.  I can create a new user with a password and tell the Thomson this new user is the default user, however this seems to be ignored when connecting.

James
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We flash our v7 routers to reprogram the username as 'Administrator' with no password so it doesn't request a username / password when you access the configuration page as a rule. However, you should be able to change this through the router config as normal.
Have you tried changing it via Toolbox > User management?
JEB
Grafter

Yes.
I can change the password for the build in user (which doesn't have a username) but the Thompson never asks for it when I connect to the web interface.

James
Danplusnet
Grafter

@ Ben
I (and most likely JEB) have followed the specific instructions provided for the FTTC Thomson. These recommend changing the password but the instructions don't work. Are you able to get a copy of them as it may help understand?
It seems that the router is configured to not have a user it just has something called "Root" privileges. Changing the password can be done but has no effect as the router always boots up under the Root rather than a user.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

We flash our v7 routers to reprogram the username as 'Administrator' with no password so it doesn't request a username / password when you access the configuration page as a rule.

Aren't these routers provided with the FTTC trial different. As I understand they have special firmware which changes one of the LAN ports to be a WAN port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Danplusnet
I packed your router and printed your instructions Smiley
I've asked Dave to comment as he knows more about the change to the config than I do.
Danplusnet
Grafter

And a fine job of packing you did to  Smiley
In terms of profiles on FTTC what's the largest than Plusnet allow for the trial. Mr BT said my line is capable of 40meg down and 10 up. Currently Plusnet profile is sitting at 20meg.

@ Dave - in the instructions it's the part where a pop up box should appear.
JEB
Grafter

20,000 being displayed in the portal is correct for FTTC and means that the line profile at Plusnet's end is really 40,000.  There is a post by Dave in the main FTTC thread about it.

James
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

20Mbps is uncapped, our FTTP customer is on it too.
Danplusnet
Grafter

Hi
Anyone had any joy with the password issue?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry about the delay on that, i'll take a look now...
Edit: I seem to have the same problems as you guys, I'll put this to Dave and see what he says...
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Got a fix for it but you'll need to update the config on the router.
download the isp.def file from here:
http://www.dtomlinson.plus.com/firmware
save it locally. Then go in to the router config page at http://192.168.1.254
Go to Thomson Gateway -> Configuration -> Save or Restore Configuration
Under Restore saved configuration select the isp.def file and select restore configuration now.
Factory reset the router by going to Thomson Gateway -> Return to factory Default Settings - Yes, rest my Thomson Gateway
This will set the router username as admin and password as the serial number.
Note: it will remove any saved config (such as port forwarding rules) in the router.
You'll then need to re-enter your username and password in the router settings as per the setup guide.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology