cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Succsessful Install

jedi98
Grafter

FTTC Succsessful Install

On Mon 25th Jan 2011 my ADSL was upgraded to FTTC. It had only taken about 10 days from request to install appointment which I thought was pretty good.
The install was booked for 1-6pm and about 1:10pm my ADSL went down, so I guess the BT Open Reach guy was just up the road re-patching in the green box. Then 10mins later he turned up here. It was about another 10mins to change the faceplate over then plug in tho VDSL modem and we were up and away.
I had made it quite easy for BT in advance by configuring my router ready to go, clearing a space so he could get to the socket. Also, the line is a secondary line so I was happy to disconnect all the extensions so there was no chance of any hidden unpleasantness (!)
So overall, the install took about 20mins from ADSL down to FTTC up and running.
The router in use is Draytek Vigor 2820n. I will probably be testing the supplied Netgear router this weekend and will post any notable results for reference. Here are the speed results: -

1st test using 11n WiFi:

Then some using a cable:

Now another using 11n WiFi:

You can see now that the upload speed has started to come down a bit now that the VDSL has started to settle down, however, later tests with a cable showed that the download speed had continued to rise:

Overall, .

• A very good, clean & fast install

• Cabled speeds up to 37Mbps down / 6Mbps up.

• 11n Wifi speeds up to 24Mbps down / 6Mbps up.

The exact reason for the (not unacceptable) loss of downstream speed on the WiFi is unknown at present, I know that the router can do at least 35Mbs to my laptop so I will be looking in to that as well.
4 REPLIES 4
youngsyp
Grafter

Re: FTTC Succsessful Install

Congratulations, the results look good.
With regards to your WiFi performance, download 'Inssider' and see what the WiFi network spread looks like in your place. That'll help you select the best channel for you router to be on and can also help with optimal placement of your router top maximise wireless throughput. If you hit the sweet spot, your wireless throughput should be very close to that of your wireless performance.
Paul
jedi98
Grafter

Excellent Tip! Thanks Paul.
The Vigor 2820 has a tool for checking channels & strengths of other routers but this gives me much more info and, its centered around my laptop. I was just about to write "but I don't run windows..." when I saw that they have been nice enough to do a Linux version. Albeit using mono, but beggars can't be choosers  Wink
I will use this to compare two routers and to test for a better permanent position.
youngsyp
Grafter

Excellent, glad it's useful for you.
I've learnt a huge amount about wireless networks since moving to FTTP, and Inssider has become a extremely valuable tool. Unfortunately, its use has led to a lot of hardware upgrades.  Smiley
Let us know how you get on.
Paul
jedi98
Grafter

Last week I had to restart (power cycle) the BT modem because the connection went out completely, but I should have tried dropping the PPPoE from the router first as this might have done it.
Last night at about 0:30 (6/2/11) I dropped the PPPoE because the down connection was looking a bit slow (11Mbps down / 8Mbps up from IPOD) and after that it went down to ~1Mbps down with the upload remaining at 8Mbps. It was still like that this morning. Odd. I re-tried dropping the PPPoE, no better.
So I traipsed off round to the garage and power cycled the BT modem and when it came back it was all back to the normal 37Mbps down / 8Mbps up (from cabled PC).
I say odd because I had presumed that the speed had gone bad due to carrier maintenance (as happens) but everything except re-connecting the VDSL made it worse. Maybe there were two factors in play here.