Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - Router Issues?

timsmith
Grafter

FTTC - Router Issues?

Hi,
I was installed on the FTTC trial last Thursday with a Netgear WNR1000 router. I have configured the main wireless with AES and TKIP encryption.
For the first time since a week before the switch to FTTC, my wife has turned on her (3month old / Windows 7) Acer laptop and connected to the new network. This worked fine when seemed to crash a variable time after opening Outlook. The machine actually blue screened and rebooted.
I tried various things assuming that this was an Outlook corruption and eventually restored the PC from the Recovery partition. This done, the PC immediately crashed again in exactly the same way.
My previous Linksys ADSL router only used WEP encryption so Im wondering if this is the issue. I have set the guest network on the WNR1000 to have WEP to try it out.  The software for the router is up to date and the drivers on the laptop are as well.
I have just found a link to an article (although cnat find it again now) that indicates that there are problems with Windows 7 and WPA2. Anyone seen anything similar?
Thanks
Tim
2 REPLIES 2
SlinkyWizard
Dabbler

Re: FTTC - Router Issues?

Hi,
I'm running a WPA-2 network with entirely Windows 7 devices and haven't seen any problems at all.
Regards,
James Mayl
timsmith
Grafter

Re: FTTC - Router Issues?

Thanks James,
I must admit that Im wondering if there is a fault with my router.
Despite the signal being full strength, my own laptop (Win XP) lost the wireless lan a few times last night. I subsequently changed it onto "broadcast SSID" which seems slightly better so far.
Tim