cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - Package Change

Goose
Dabbler

FTTC - Package Change

I'm currently on the Pro package because I do a bit of gaming on the PS3 but the last couple of months I have been going over my 20GB limit just because I've downloaded a game or HD movie.  Normally I wouldn't do this until off peak but as the speed is so great it takes no time at all.  I was thinking of moving to the Extra package but then I wasn't sure about the prioritised traffic and whether I would notice asignificant difference in online gaming.
The options I'm looking at are:
move to the current Extra package 60GB usage
wait and move to the Value package 40GB usage
wait even longer in the hope that a Pro fibre package becomes available
Can someone recommend the best solution here please?
4 REPLIES 4
phil4
Grafter

Re: FTTC - Package Change

From what I've read, any change to the rest of the current packages (ie. The adsl packages), will lead to some hefty throttling during normal hours.... I'd suggest taking a look bat the traffic prioritisation/shaping rules.
The new fttc packages may be better (though at present thats an optimistic guess), so probably worth waiting.
Just my opinion.
WWWombat
Grafter

I can't make specific comments about gaming, but...
We just shifted from "ADSL Home surf" to "Extra", as part of installing FTTC (which isn't there yet). One reason for not swapping before is because the old package has less restriction, less of the time. It doesn't seem to have had an effect on any of the common stuff we do; we're still evaluating to see if has had any obscure stuff (especially VPN-type stuff).
Gaming is documented, for Extra, as being unlimited, and running at Titanium priority. That *ought* to be fine.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Gaming has the highest priority on ALL plusnet packages. The same goes for latency/ping times.
The only difference is Pro will run all unknown (i.e. new games) at the highest priority whereas all other packages will only run it at high priority once Plusnet have identified it and told the traffic management about them.
Goose
Dabbler

Thanks guys.  I'll take this info on board. Wink