cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC New Install

Mike37

FTTC New Install

Just had FTTC installed today.
The speed increase was immediate! This afternoon I was getting 36M down / 8M up, which has now dropped to 24M down / 8M up (is this due to the busier network in the evenings?)
The improvement on my ADSL (which ran typically at about 2.5Mb/s)  is superb, especially for downloads and high bandwidth applications like Google Earth.
I did find the signal strength and stability of the wireless on the supplied router (Netgear WNR1000) wasn't quite as good as with my old router (Linksys WAG160N), so I have switched the wireless off in the Netgear and am using the Linksys as a wireless access point. With this arrangement I am getting full speed on laptops connected via wireless.
I must say the whole ordering / installation process has gone very smoothly - many thanks to the Plusnet staff involved.
Mike
11 REPLIES 11
J_i_m
Grafter

Re: FTTC New Install

I had my FTTC connection installed today as well.
Getting 37197kbps down and 8346kbps up.  Installation was smooth, no probs at all.  Really happy with how it's all going so far. 
Thanks Plusnet!  Cheesy
prichardson
Grafter

Good to hear, welcome to the club (though I will point out my jealousy).
Although I have been dealing with business deployments on the trial, the majority have gone very smoothly. The remainder are down to changed requirements for the most part.
mikeprice

I too had my installation yesterday.
All went very smoothly. As soon as my router made connection, I had a speed of 32.8 and 8.29.This morning it's showing even better at 39.12 and 8.33

The Netgear router only arrived in the post during the afternoon, but I'd already configured my current router (NETGEAR Prosafe DGFV338) and it plugged in and worked without a hitch.
As far as I know the Prosafe router has a more sophisticated FIrewall so I intend to continue to use that (as long as that's okay with Plusnet).
I do intend to try out the new router to assess the 'n' wireless.
RickCoxgreen

FTTC New Install - a comment rather than a reply.
My FTTC connection was commissioned without any real problems on Jan 20th.
The miserable 1.8Mb/s down load performance I was getting and had "moaned" about to Plusnet is now at a so far consistent 21Mb/s, which is a rate that I "could get used to" .
I think the PlusNet end was caught early in the day and un-aware because the first 15 mins were spent examining the integrity of my 20m cat 5 feeder from the BT modem to the Plusnet Netgear router, because no change from the 1.8Mb/s snail like performance could be detected, then suddenly it took off.
On a lighter note: my wife, an Archers addict is very pleased as her weekly Omnibus is now transformed to a fast MP3 download. So she doesn't have to remember to set the PVR.
Thanks for having me in on the trial . .
Rick C

J_i_m
Grafter

My download speed has dropped to 3909 which is suspiciously similar to what I used to get.  I've submitted feedback to my fttc ticket (#38509179).  Not sure if it's a profile issue, or just the evening traffic.
J_i_m
Grafter

There was no change at all overnight, and it's still low now, so I don't think it's traffic...

It's a little embarrassing that I can upload faster than I can download...
J_i_m
Grafter

No response to my ticket yet, but I did notice this: 
Average closure time: 1 day, 2 hours, 59 minutes and 38 seconds
Target closure time: 4 hours
Only 23 hours off target Wink
J_i_m
Grafter

Three days and still no response to my ticket Sad
I remember the days when you *did* get a four hour response time.  
Completely powered down the BT box for a while.  Connection speed back to normal.  I shall close the tickets now.  Wonder how long it would have taken?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Ok, we'll probably have received a "delta" report from BT the other day which has reset your speed back to the ADSL speeds Sad
An agent just needs to change your speed profile.  I'll see if I can grab the attention of one tonight
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Doh!  I didn't read your last bit correctly.
Your profile is set right now.  It ~was~ downgraded by a delta update, but it's been put back afterwards.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
J_i_m
Grafter

Thanks Kelly Smiley
All working fantastically again.