cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC: My experience so far plus a question

ferdy1985
Dabbler

FTTC: My experience so far plus a question

I had FTTC installed at home on Thursday 6th January and so far, I have unfortunately not really noticed much difference from when I was on the up to 8Mb ADSL broadband.
Download speeds average at around 3.0Mbps although I have seen increases in the upload speeds often around 8Mbps.
I am hoping that the download speeds do increase soon as they said that it could take a couple of days, although given the upload speed is much higher I am not sure.
I'll let you know how I get on, if anyone knows of any tips please feel free to share!
Thanks,
Andy.
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: FTTC: My experience so far plus a question

Download speeds average at around 3.0Mbps

Sounds like your Plusnet profile hasn't been updated yet.
What does a BT SpeedTest say your profile is ?
and what does it say here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ? I think it should say 20000 ( effectively unrestricted ) if its updated properly

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ferdy1985
Dabbler

Hello, thank you very much for your reply,
I clicked the link you suggested and it currently says:
Phone exchange:
ST ALBANS
Estimated line speed:
3.0Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2010-11-25 20:03:27
Current line speed:
presumably since it was checked on 25th it has not updated yet.
And on the speedtest I wasn't sure what you meant but BT says from its speed checker that I can get 30.1Mb download and 7.2Mb upload which is also what Plusnet said to me before they installed the devices. Plusnet did also say on Friday that "BT confirm the FTTC installation completed OK and I can see you're online. If you have any questions or problems please let us know. Please be aware that we've seen that for some customers it can take a few hours or even 1 to 2 days for the speed to increase fully. If you aren't seeing the full speeds immediately we would recommend rebooting both the BT modem and router once a day until the speed increases.".
I don't know if that helps at all but if you have any knowledge to pass on or suggestions please feel free to say!
Thanks,
Andy
ferdy1985
Dabbler

These are the results I have seen from BT which is I think what you mean by a BT SpeedTest:
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yep, your PlusNet profile hasn't updated correctly.
Current line speed:

Your BT profile is correct at 32292 as shown on the speedtest. You could either raise a ticket or give CSC a call and ask them to correct your PlusNet IP Profile now that your BT one is 32292.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ferdy1985
Dabbler

Thanks very much, I have raised a ticket now - let's hope that they work on Saturdays! I shall let you know once they reply.
Have a great weekend,
Andy.
ferdy1985
Dabbler

Could someone from PlusNet please have a look at this thread and correct my PlusNet IP profile to 32292 if that's what it requires to get my FTTC download speed to what it should be - I have raised a ticket but there's no reply so far.
Thanks,
Andy.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Just prodded a CSC agent to update your speed profile.  You might need a reboot, but let us know!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
ferdy1985
Dabbler

It's like lightning!! Thanks very much I saw an immediate improvement to 30.7Mbps - much appreciated!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Enjoy!
Watch that usage Wink
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It's like lightning!!

Glad you got sorted.
Thanks for getting it actioned Kelly.