cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - My Upgrade from 256K Broadband

woodyknows

FTTC - My Upgrade from 256K Broadband

For quite some time I was watching BT for information on my local exchange upgrade to ADSL2+, hoping to increase the diabolical download 256K speed (with iPlate) I was receiving in the "wilds" of Weston-super-mare. Yes, believe it. My upload speed was faster than my download! Having spoken to friends who'd gone the route of LLU and other companies (with speeds of 24Mb - noting their distance to exchange was 1/3rd mine) I was just about to jump ship from PN when I had a call from BT touting their Infinity product. Realising that this was the fibre product PN were trialing I was pleasantly surprised to find no problem in joining this elite group.
My install was very straightforward. PN posted the NetGear Wireless-N 150 R WNR1000 v2 router. BT supplied & installed the modem. Model EchoLife HG612, Name: FTTC VDSL NTE. I was absent during the install but my wife reported that the BT engineer was very pleasant and the install went according to plan.
As you'd expect the speed tests have varied this last month between 16Mb/s & 4Mb/s download and a very consistant 8Mb/s upload. This is very pleasing for me. Although the headlines are great I found that the PN supplied wireless router suffered constant network drop outs and was not up to the task. Not surprising given the connection strength of 40% to 60%. With reconfiguration to a switch of my own Linksys WAG200G ADSL modem router the connection strength increased to a constant-ish +80%. No dropouts experienced.
With a faster connection comes a change in how and what we use the internet for. Unsurprisingly an increase in GB usagage has today been advised by PN.
Now enjoying a proper internet experience courtesy of PN - a big thank you from all my children and the missus.