Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC: Modem/Router location

andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FTTC: Modem/Router location

My FTTC install is due tomorrow.
I've read elsewhere that the use of extension kits can have a big impact on sync speeds as line length sync losses are higher with this product therefore it would be highly recommended to have it next the master socket.
My master socket is located downstairs and the home office I'm putting together at the min is located upstairs, actually almost directly above the master socket so a lot of cabling will be required to get it upstairs into that room if I have to hug door frames and skirting (I do already have the route drilled to the upstairs bedroom as it was necessary anyway but I know the engineer will not go this route but I can move that myself but I can't shorten the wire so not real gain apart from not running a cable round the house which is a huge benefit in itself.
The biggest annoyance of all is that the telephone line actually come in upstairs and then routed downstairs to the master socket. It would have been so much handier if they had located the master socket upstairs but it is where it is and I'm stuck with it.
Now my quandry. Have the modem installed for optimum sync rates and located downstairs next the master socket which necessitates 2 ethenet cables being run upstairs to the 2 computers in the home office (only one in that room at the min - the other is my bedroom - but will be moved in the next week when my desk arrives). Or I can run the extension kit for the modem into the upstairs bedroom and lower my sync rates but that's only one cable to route.
So anybody that has the extenstion kit fitted at full stretch notice any problems with sync rates from having such a long extension kit fitted?
8 REPLIES 8
hulls
Grafter

Re: FTTC: Modem/Router location

Do I hear the question: or (since the line comes in upstairs anyway), would the engineer move the master socket up there?  Huh
John
andun84
Rising Star

I did think about that and I will certainly suggest it as that would make life a whole lot easier and from reading other threads on BT Infinity this has been done but I'm working on the assumption I'll get one who will be consulting his rulebook so really just looking to see if the extenstion kit run at full lenght (30m) does alter syncs much so that I know which way to jump should I get a jobsworth. (I think BT NI have an over supply of jobsworths from past experience).
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

From what I've seen the extra 30m on the extension cable doesn't make a lot of difference really, although it depends on the line length really. Up to around 500m or so from the cab and we're pretty much seeing everyone get the full 40Mbps but there is a drop off from that point and it can drop quite quickly the further out you are from there. If you think you're well under 500m then I wouldn't worry about the extension decreasing the speed.
I have seen some customers have the master socket moved but it will depend on what's there. If you have a socket upstairs where the line comes in which is an extension rather than the master then it may be possible to switch them.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
andun84
Rising Star

Thanks Dave. After alot of searching I've found what street my cabinet is on and it is 0.3 to 0.4 miles road length away so I guess it depends how they bring to my house as the roads are quite twisty with lots of turning so if it is more direct then I'll definitely be within that 500m. Let's hope so.
I have an extension upstairs but it actually in my bedroom which runs back to back with this room I'm moving into as it was needed for the sky+ box when I got it installed however that box and and thus the extension will be moved ino the other room but I hadn't done that yet and can't get it done before the engineer arrives.
To be honest I'll be happy with anything anywhere near the quoted speeds though eventually the master socket will probably be moved upstairs as it just makes more sense as the vast majority of cables used run upstairs and not downstairs so it would cut out a lot of the clutter of my skirting boards.
Roll on the install now  Grin
andun84
Rising Star

Installed. Upload speed is 7.86mbps so looks like I should get a decent download speed. Speedtest is showing download speed is 0.67mbps so obviously have to wait for it to come up.
Is there any way to check the sync speed so that I can tell what the actual download sync rate is at the minute even if I can't get that just yet?
Master Socket now upstairs in my bedroom which backs on the new home office so short enough data extension kit required and there wasn't much difference in speedtest results between either so happy enough.
mikeyriot
Grafter

i'd assume you could check on here to see your sync speed http://speedtester.bt.com/ your PN profile should catch up in a few hours, to a day, i believe
andun84
Rising Star

Thanks mikeyriot
I like
Download speedachieved during the test was - 32708 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-37079 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -37079 Kbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8119 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps
I'm on level 2 traffic management (near my peak limit for the month) so will have to wait until the morning before I can test things at full speed as I'm currently getting 500kbps down and 120kpbs up.
Just noticed my Plusnet profile is showing my Profile at 20000 so looks like all has fed through to Plusnet as well.
andun84
Rising Star

Here's my stats this morning - first opportunity to test:

Let's hope the training period goes well. Looking good so far  Cheesy