cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Milton Keynes - Dramatic speed drop by 95%

bobafett

FTTC Milton Keynes - Dramatic speed drop by 95%

Folks
I had FTTC installed yesterday. We are less than 150m from the cabinet and only the 2nd household to be on FTTC on that cabinet. The engineer connected us up and when he left thedownload speed was about 33meg plus and the upload only about 1.8Meg. Download speed was fluctuating but we were told this was expected..
From about 11pm last night, I am getting a download speed of 1.38Meg and an upload of 1.52Meg. I have again tried the speed check and similar results.
The BT bradband speed checker said
"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 34.3Mbps and upstream line speed of 13.3Mbps".
I know the the actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use and that the speed may change over time but surely a drop down to 1.38Meg and only 1.52Meg upload is seriously wrong...
Regards
boba
2 REPLIES 2
bobafett

Re: FTTC Milton Keynes - Dramatic speed drop by 95%

Plusnet support confirmed that my profile was set to 1.5 download. They reset it to 40 and 5 mins later the speed jumped back up to 31Meg download.... Hopefully it will stabliise at about 33Meg. will monitor it over the next 10 days..
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: FTTC Milton Keynes - Dramatic speed drop by 95%

Hi bobafett,
Upon further investigation, on 05/12/11 at approximately 6pm we received an update from the BT network requesting our profile to be changed to 1500kbps which caused the drop in speed.  This was likely a profile change that was scheduled back when your connection was using ADSL technology and has only just come through to us.  All future updates from the BT network should be inline with FTTC speeds and hence you shouldn't see this again.  I can see we have manually changed your profile back up to full speed to expedite the change.  Please let us know if you have any further issues with this and we'll look in to it for you.