Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Hardware question - BT Modem and Homeplugs

myke2011
Dabbler

FTTC Hardware question - BT Modem and Homeplugs

Hi Chaps,
Been using FTTC for about a month now and think it's great. I have had a few moments where the internet seems to have 'stuck'. Quick restart of the modem and everything is fine again. No biggy.
My question is this:
Can I put a homeplug between the BT Modem and the netgear router? The reason for this is my bt modem is next to the phone socket but I want to move my netgear to a different area of the house. Do you think this would work?
4 REPLIES 4
ashgeo
Grafter

Re: FTTC Hardware question - BT Modem and Homeplugs

myke2011
I would have thought that the homeplugs would work between the BT modem and the Netgear.
However, depending on the quality of the wiring on the ring main in the house, the type of homeplugs you use and the distance on the ringmain between the homeplugs I suspect that you will find you will not be able to use the FTTC speed to its maximum potential.  You will also only be able to use the homeplugs for the connection between the router and the BT modem and will not be able to add any other homeplugs for other devices.
I hope this helps.
Regards
George
myke2011
Dabbler

Thanks!
Hadn't thought about not being able to use other ones for other devices. Might have to re-think this through. Thanks again!
ncalow
Dabbler

myke2011,
I tried using 200Mbps homeplugs between the BT modem and the Netgear router and it worked.  However, I ran some trials on the throughput of the homeplugs and found that the throughput of data was about 30Mbps.  This was despite the fact that the monitoring software reporting a good quality connection at a speed of 180Mbps.  I didn't really want the homeplug to be the limiting factor on speed so in the end I decided to route a wired ethernet link to link the master socket to the router location.  That works a treat, and was able to route the cable neatly and for the most part, hidden from view.
Nick
G3YBO
Grafter

Hi....................Homeplug do cause high interference to any radio's around your area, so hard wire is the best for all....Have a
look at  http://www.ban-plt.co.uk/ and see what the problems can be..................Roger