Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Expansion?

goatie999
Dabbler

Re: FTTC Expansion?

Hi Dave,
Hummm, interesting...  I guess it was pure hype on BT's part then for enabling Basingstoke at this time.  The DSLAM that would provide coverage for my house went in some time ago (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/eaktVCr5WERK5fLU_bF3yw?feat=directlink) after a month of digging and cable pulling before that.
I was aware that only 77 of the 171 PCP in Basingstoke were in scope of the towns Phase 1 enablement to be FTTC so I was hopeful to get on the service after the Jan 25th date given by BT for our exchange.
Looks like the people of Basingstoke are going to have to wait a little longer
Regards
Mark
http://leyingitout.blogsite.org/tag/fttc/
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

I have a call at 3pm so will try and find out the latest then.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

First batch of Basingstoke cabinets will be enabled around 8th February, then there's more being done each week after. Luton already has a load done with about 10 that currently aren't planned. I'll see if I can get a mapping of customers to cabinets and see which of you can get it when.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
goatie999
Dabbler

Excellent news Dave, thanks very much for following up and giving us all some clarity on the media hype  🙂
If you need any Plusnet account details let me know and I will drop you a PM with then in.
Many thanks !
Mark
http://leyingitout.blogsite.org
edgold
Dabbler

Thanks for the info Dave
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

peter - not good news, your postcode is served by 2 cabs, 1 which has been done and 1 which currently doesn't have a date, unfortunately your line looks like it's on the one which doesn't have a date.
spock - there's a bit of confusion in the data for your line, the postcode shows you're on cab 63 (which serves the whole postcode) which one of the datasets is enabled and one says isn't. I'm checking.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
michaelm
Grafter

@ Dave
I have not seen many exhanges enabled or scheduled to be enabled in Scotland in Phase II and Phase III.
Any idea if my exchange (Pollok) in Glasgow will be enabled?
Thanks
Michael
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Doesn't look like it's in the dataset unfortunately, phase 5 hopefully won't be too far away from being announced.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
hadster
Dabbler

Hi
I've already posted this on a similar thread but this link is for anyone feeling the pain in Basingstoke
http://www.basingstoke-broadband.co.uk/index.html
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I wish the ADSL checker would make it's friggin mind up - it's changed AGAIN
In early Jan I had ADSL1 512Kbs, ADSL Max 1Mbs or greater, ADSL2+ 2Mbs or greater and FTTC go live 20th Jan
Later in Jan it was the same with a FTTC date of 1st Feb
Then I had ADSL1 512Kbs, ADSL Max 1Mbs or greater, ADSL2+ 2Mbs or greater and no FTTC mentioned
Now it says ADSL1 512Kbs, ADSL Max 500Kbs or greater, ADSL2+ 500KBS or greater and no FTTC.
If I use my postcode it says FTTC is available now (i.e. it says FTTC is available with no date stated)
Grrrr  Angry
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The postcode data is less reliable, the reason for it saying yes reliable for you is because the postcode is covered by 2 cabs, 1 enabled and 1 that isn't. There's a big update going in to the availability checker this weekend which should hopefully improve the FTTC accuracy. It's something we're actively feeding back to BT but it's a horribly complicated affair.
This is how Openreach are working, the exchange side stiff at the phase 2 sites should all be done, BT Wholesale have linked up their network to the FTTC head end at the exchange so that side is ready.
At each exchange there are teams of Openreach engineers going round fitting all the cabinets and getting any fibre, power, etc. that needs doing done. They have a schedule of when they expect each cabinet to be done. Some cabinets have had problems so rather than delay the rest of the rollout in that area they've just moved on to the next cabinet. These cabinets will then lose their ready for service date from the schedule and disappear from the availability checker (but the ones ahead may get bumped up the schedule). They will then get picked up later on but are unlikely to have a new ready for service date until they are actually ready.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
actinides

Hi Dave, I am slightly confused as to the position with FTTC.  I received this reply from the support team to my question about the availability of FTTC in Basingstoke'
'At the present time, we have no plans to trial this service in your area but this is something that may well change. We would normally contact our customers in an area like this when we are going to trial a service, so please watch out for emails from us.
If you have any further queries, please get back to us via http://help.plus.net or call us on 08451400200.
Kind regards,
link:csa removed'
The replys in this forum seem to contradict the above statement and  I wondered if you could clarify the position for me.
Thanks,
Chris
adie:red CSA name removed as per link:rules]
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Chris,
I'll check up on this and make sure the message within the CSC is consistent, with the first 3 exchanges that's exactly what we did, we contacted the customers that could get it and see if they want to trial it. With the new exchanges it's all a bit more complicated because of what's being enabled when so we aren't at the moment planning a mass mail out, instead I'm thinking of setting up a trial help assistant and let people that can get it raise tickets in and we'll manage them that way. Keep a look out for more details when I have them.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
sfxdude
Grafter

Just thought I would let anyone in Basingstoke know that there is a list of FTTC cabinets being enabled here: http://www.basingstoke-broadband.co.uk/Cabinets.html
However, it does change regularly - I know that my cabinet (PCP73) was showing as being ignored last week, however it's changed and is now showing as being upgraded.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

BT Wholesale have also updated the availability checker with the latest dates if you search by phone number:
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
A couple of the cabinets in Basingstoke are due at the end of February, with some others around the country already done or being done between now and the end of March.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology