cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Expansion?

Addnan
Grafter

Re: FTTC Expansion?

Why does my post code search give such a wide range of speed? I know it is not accurate, but just gives an idea.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 19.4 Mbps and upstream line speed of 7.7 Mbps.

Thats my uncles post code. It gives one number of 19.4mbs.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 20 to 36.2 Mbps and upstream line speed between 7.7 to 13.9 Mbps.

Thats mine. Theres a 16.2mbs range lol.
JEB
Grafter

@dave - would you mind checking the Openreach list again for Shipley to see if there is any news?
I was under the impression the exchange was going to be enabled in April, but none of the phone numbers I'm trying on the checker are saying that FTTC is available.

Thanks

James
IC9000
Dabbler

wow, just got FTTC installed. Get download speeds of 19776 kbps and upload of 8400kbps. This is great after what seems likes years of being on 1.5 Mbps.  Line speeds are just under 40Mbps and just under 10Mbps when openreach engineer measured it, so reading what Dave T says about  the back end system only being dimensioned for 21Mbps (ADSL2+), then I guess we can look forward to some improvements in the future
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: JEB
I was under the impression the exchange was going to be enabled in April, but none of the phone numbers I'm trying on the checker are saying that FTTC is available.

Sounds like you're in the same position as me: exchange supposedly ready this month but still no sign of any usable FTTC service. Does the address checker mention anything to do with FTTC? It does for my address, which apparently does mean that FTTC is on its way at least. Once it is properly available the phone number checker will then be updated too.
JEB
Grafter

Yes.  If I use the postcode checker it says it's available, however it clearly isn't available yet going by the phone number checker.

James
tom:quote
edgold
Dabbler

Dave to let you know the BT engineer installed my modem yesterday and my connection is up an running perfectly. Thanks for all your help so far, but one more question, do you have any update as to when the Plusent network will be supporting more than 21Mbps connections, as i have a 40Mbps sync.
Cheers Ed
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

pault - Basingstoke seems to be the current FTTC hotbed, almost all of our new installs have been there and there's currently a 1 month waiting list for an appointment, everywhere else I've checked can get one in under 10 days. I spoke to a couple of other people there who were seeing similar lower speeds so it may just be local contention kicking in due to the number of people going on in such a short period of time. I'll keep a look out though.
JEB  - it's on the list now as April onwards, I've updated the 21CN list with FTTC now: http://community.plus.net/21cn-exchange-availability/
Addnan - postcodes can be big areas and can be served by more than 1 cabinet and lots of distribution points (telegraph poles for example). The postcode check won't know which cab you're on so the difference is probably the speed if you served by 1 cab against the other.
Bob_V - thanks, can't remember if I've asked, have you tried it wired and wireless in case that makes a difference?
edgold - not get a date yet, will see if I can do some pushing Smiley
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bluewhale
Rising Star

so i saw the engineers out putting the fibre in for my cabinet, i'm on the new southgate exchange
anyone know how long after that that things will be live?
also will i need a new router?
also is it like adsl2+ with some kind of horrible dlm software?
i'm currently of the dlm and my speed been consistently good which it wasn't under the dlm thumb
Bob_V
Grafter

Dave,
Not thought to try direct. Interesting result.
Wireless         Download  14170   Upload  8294
Wired             Download  19793   Upload  8439
Wireless connection connected at 54Mbps adjacent to router. Linespeed 32Mbps.
Seems the wireless connection is losing me some bandwidth. Why should this be?
Bob Vaughan
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: bluewhale
so i saw the engineers out putting the fibre in for my cabinet, i'm on the new southgate exchange

Ooh, only a few miles from me (Ponders End). Perhaps when they've finished fiddling with your exchange/cabinets they'll take a look at mine…
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

bluewhale - anything from a few weeks to a few months, depends how far through the build process they are as the exchange side work needs doing too and the cabs may be done before that.
You will need a new router if the one you have doesn't support PPPoE over a WAN port. We're currently supplying a Thomson 585 with modified firmware to use one of the Ethernet ports as a WAN port.
Bob_V - I've seen a couple like this now, do you have any other wireless devices connected? I've seen one being caused by a wireless print server being connected at the same time and I've seen another where there was interference from another router in the neighbourhood on the same channel and also it could be if the wireless card is connected on wireless B rather than G or connecting at a lower speed than 54Mbps.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
twentythree
Grafter

dave - I'm interested in taking part in the trial but cannot get the BT Wholesale availability checker to recognise my telephone number. Is this because my telephone provider is Plusnet rather than BT? The address and postcode checkers both indicate that FTTC is available to me - any ideas if this is correct?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'll have a look, there's something odd with your phone number as it's not showing up as being valid, will see what I can find out.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Bob_V
Grafter

Dave,
I have tried every channel on the router from 1 to 13 with no change to the download speed. I have a wireless printer but that is normally turned off. I have a second laptop but that is normally turned off. My laptop is connected at 54Mbps with a very strong signal. Don't know what else to try other than a 802.11n router.
Regards.
Bob Vaughan
itsme
Grafter

Are you aware that for wireless the 54mbps is arrived at by adding togather the upstream and downstream speeds? So it's 27mbps upstream + 27mbps downstream. The maximum that I have managed to see on my network is 17mbps when trasferring files from one PC to another. Not sure what the overheads are for wireless.