cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - Download speeds

Mark64uk
Grafter

FTTC - Download speeds

I Had FTTC installed on Monday and my speeds since then seem to have dropped of.
Bit of a back ground i live in a high rise block of flats on the 11th floor and to get speeds on 1MB on ADSL you would be lucky so anything better than that for me is a bonus. I asked the engineer what i was getting at the cab and he said 40 meg but due to the distance from the cab i was only getting 8 - 10 MB at the property which i was happy with ( i looked at his metre and it said i was 2.2km away ).
In the first few days i was getting around 14Mb/s but im now only getting

Heres my results from a BT Speed test

This is a test download from zens site

But when i make a downoad that is hosted by rapid share speeds seem fine

I'm currently on plusnet Value do you think this might have something to do with the problems i have upgraded but it wont take effect till the 3rd of march an would it be worth raising a ticket to see if something could be done Huh
Thanks
Mark

9 REPLIES 9
jedi98
Grafter

Re: FTTC - Download speeds

Did you try powering off the BT modem? Sometimes this helps because the thing seems to get in a 'rut' and will not come back to top speed. Mine did this a few times but then has been stable since.
alben
Grafter

Ring support to check if your profile  is correct look here on your own account,https://portal.plus.net/m...ction=data_transfer_speed
it should be 20000, this link will not work but shows where to look, if you login.
Regards, Alan 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This link should work https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ; Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mark64uk
Grafter

Powered the router and modem down before i left for work and ive just got in seems to be better than this monring

When using the link for the profile this is what it says
Phone exchange:
    CHEETHAM HILL
Estimated line speed:
    0.5Mb (This may vary between 1Mb and 3.5Mb) - Checked on 2011-02-07 15:08:02
Current line speed:
    37 Mb
is 37MB the pofile im on Huh
Thanks
Mark
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

That is the wrong Plusnet profile. It should be 20Mb, which is Plusnets FTTC profile whic gives maximum speeds on their network.
It sounds like BT have sent a 37Mb profile and it has updated on Plusnet's system either after they had changed it to 20Mb or Plusnet have never set it correctly.
Either ring support (preferred) or raise a ticket (which may take a long time) to get it corrected - or hopefully a PlusNet bod will be along and correct it.
Vip3r
Grafter

Hi Peter,
Looking at the Fibre trials Update blog Dave says:
We are very pleased at the overall performance of FTTC, we made a few internal changes yesterday to resolve a few small bugs in the system (for example, customers should shortly see the speed showing as 37Mbps on our website instead of 20Mbps) and have been busily training some of our support team.

So perhaps the 37Mbps is now the correct profile?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Yep, looks like the IP profile is correct @ 37Mb (although mine is still at 20Mb) - I wonder what the difference is?
So that's not the cause of the slowdown then... unless there are issues with the 37Mb profile.. it may just be local contention.
prichardson
Grafter

None,
20mb was unlocked for the purpose of the FTTC/P trial.
Since the commecial beta launch, we now have access to the correct profile sets for both FTTC & P. Anybody on 20mb will be fine as this will remain this way until full launch (updates to correct values are progressing slowly (read manually)).
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Thanks Phil.